Will we be seeing you at the Memorial this year?! ( Not bloody likely!)

by Gill 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

There I was, quietly doing my Friday morning shop at Sainsburys, when who should I bump into, but a JW lady I have known my whole life. 'Will we be seeing you at the Memorial this year?' she asks. 'No!' I reply bluntly. She seemed stunned for a moment, then, 'So you've made up your mind then?' she asked, starting to blush a lot. 'Yes!' I replied. 'Well you're an adult now, and can make your own decisions....I suppose,'she said, getting redder. 'Yes!' I smiled happily. 'I've finally grown up. It took long enough, but I'm finally there!' She wasn't sure whether to smile or not but then said. 'We miss you, you know.' I just smiled at her. I know a lot of the traumas she's had in her life, to do with being a JW, including an unfaithful husband, and she wasn't someone I wanted to bash over the head with any anti JW diatribe. I changed the subject to her health, which she said was very bad, 'but isn't everyone's?' she sighed, sadly. Well, actually everyone's isn't. Maybe in JW land, they're constantly ill but happy, normal people are not 'constantly' ill, unless they have a very serious, unremitting illness, which can happen to anyone. I wanted to tell her that. I wanted to tell her, that since I left JW land, I haven't needed to go to the doctors for nearly three years now. She started to appear awkward and uncomfortable with me. I could tell she was thinking ' I shouldn't be associating with this person'. I made my excuses to continue shopping and left her. All in all, I felt sorry for her. Hey!!! But no Memorial crap for me....for another year!!! Whooppeee!!!!!

• free2beme
    free2beme

I get asked every year too, and I am always wondering why they waste their time or make comments like "will I see you at the memorial this year." They do though, and I just respond with a simple "NO!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit