The Bible Aids Uncovering King David's Palace

by Deputy Dog 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

From

http://www.momentmag.com/olam/Apr06/MOM-2006-04_mazar.html

Her office is filled with the kinds of items you might expect: 3000-year-old pots from her excavations of the ancient Phoenician settlements of Achziv on the northern coast of Israel and treasures from the Mazar family’s archaeological “dynasty.” Books by her late grandfather, the highly respected archaeologist Benjamin Mazar, are displayed prominently, as is a five-volume work that her father published highlighting the connections between archaeological finds and biblical verses.

Alongside her laptop on a paper-strewn desk sits the most telling object: a heavily marked Bible. Like her grandfather and father before her, Mazar is a believer in the Bible’s historical reliability. “One of the many things I learned from my grandfather was how to relate to the biblical text,” she says. “Pore over it again and again, for it contains within it descriptions of genuine historical reality.” She adds, “I work with the Bible in one hand and the tools of excavation in the other. That’s what biblical archaeologists do. The Bible is the most important historical source and therefore deserves special attention.”

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Albright lives!

• greendawn
    greendawn

It will be a good answer to those that were claiming David could not be a real person since arcaeologists were not able to find anything about a supposedly historical person as prominent as this.

The proof was always there but it was not yet discovered.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Indeed any additional archaeological finds form the 10th century would be welcomed regardless of what they were. The renewed sensation of this old story is disturbing because it is purely politically and religiously motivated. When this fragment of a wall was discovered back in 1998 or so it was rashly named David's palace. The dating is highly controvertial and to this day there is not one bit of evidence linking the footing to the Bible David. In fact the limited graphical finds suggest otherwise.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Pete

What's your backround?

If confirmed, the palace would counteract recent claims by the Palestinians, who dismiss King David’s reign as useful political fiction.
    D Dog
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

lol, I'm a former JW interested in honest intelligent discussions about religious history. The line you just posted illustrates the point I was making. In actuality there is a growing consession that the OT legends about a massive golden United Kingdom under David and Solomon never happened. The leading scholars are Jewish. The way the evidence is used/misused by political enemies has no bearing on their factuality.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Absolutely! If the bible is so wonderful why is no one actually READING it with regards to "king" David and Solomon? I mean figure out the measurements of that "giant" temple! 2500 square feet? Shit, my house is almost that big! It's just like the "archaeologist" Looking for noah's ark and using the bible to help them and they they pop up this picture of a traditional pointy ended ship with a little house perched on top... You just have to laugh I mean come on at least PRETEND your reading that crap! LOL

It's propaganda pure and simple!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Pete

The leading scholars are Jewish

Could you tell us who they are, and a little more about them? It's hard to believe they have no ax to grind.

D Dog

• Narkissos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit