C.E. and B.C.E.

by merfi 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• merfi
    merfi

I've always wondered why the WTBS uses CE and BCE instead of BC and AD. I'd always meant to ask, but then it kind of got to the point where it would look 'bad' if I didn't already know, so was afraid to ask.

So, I'm asking now. Anyone? Bueller?

Thx...

~merfi

• blondie
    blondie

*** w94 7/15 p. 28 How Accurate Is the Jewish Calendar? ***

Both Biblical and historical evidence points to Jesus Christ’s birth in the year 2 B.C. For the sake of accuracy, therefore, many prefer to use the designations C.E. (Common Era) and B.C.E. (Before the Common Era), and this is the way dates are indicated in publications of the Watch Tower Society.

• Spectre
    Spectre

Probably some lame-ass reason like to separate themselves from the world. Like how they use the word "church".

• merfi
    merfi
    Probably some lame-ass reason like ;to separate themselves from the world. Like how they use the word "church".

Now that's what I was thinkin... If I'd talk to someone and have to use it, I'd still always use BC/AD cuz the other made me feel weird.

• Honesty
    Honesty

While the WATCHTOWER BIBLE and TRACT SOCIETY would never admit to this, they use B.C.E. and C.E. to further alienate themselves from Christ.

Anno Domini is sometimes referred to as the Common Era (CE) instead. This term is often preferred by those who want to avoid the association with the Christian era. For example, Cunningham and Starr (1998) write that "B.C.E./C.E. ... do not presuppose faith in Christ and hence are more appropriate for interfaith dialog than the conventional B.C./A.D." When the People's Republic of China abolished the Republic of China era in 1949, it adopted Western years, calling that era gongyuán, ??, which literally means Common Era.

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

I totally agree with Honesty. I was going to post the very same thing when I saw your post. Ditto.

• cosmic
    cosmic

Bueller? El Cuteo!

• badboy
    badboy

sCHOLARS USE IT AND IT IS POLITICALLY CORRECT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit