Those wonderful, insightful, platform talks.......

by LivingInReality 4 Replies latest jw friends

• LivingInReality
    LivingInReality

...so annalice and I were discussing this topic the other day and now I pose it to you.

Remember all those talks from the platform where the brothers encouraged the congregation that as far as putting in hours in the field ministry that we must remember that if Brother A can only put in 5 hours a month and he puts that 5 hours a month in, then he is doing all that he can (applause, applause) and if Brother B can put in 50 hours a month and he does, there is no difference between Brother A and Brother B, because they are both doing ALL they can in Jehovah's work.

Well then, why is it that if Brother A faithfully puts in that 5 hours a week, he can't carry microphones, he can't lead the congregation in prayer and he can't hold any priveleges, because he doesn't put in hours that match the national average?? Isn't that making Brother A feel like shit and that he is unworthy? I thought his 5 hours are the same as someone else's 50? How do people accept this crap?

And here is another question: If it's called a "Watchtower Discussion" why can't anyone ever ask questions that make the elders squirm and have to answer in front of the congregation.... if anything, I would think that it would be the best way to start planting some seeds of doubt. If I wasn't disfellowshipped I'd go back just to do that. Oh that's right.... I would be disruptive and asked not to come back or I'll be trespassing, right??

take care you guys.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Well then, why is it that if Brother A faithfully puts in that 5 hours a week, he can't carry microphones, he can't lead the congregation in prayer and he can't hold any priveleges, because he doesn't put in hours that match the national average??

Yeah, I always hated that concept as well.

I think their reasoning is that, if you don't have time to preach more than 5 hours, then you don't have time to hold other priviledges in the congregation.

I find that to be very flawed. Operating the mircophones at meeting doesn't take any aditional time if you regularly attend the meetings. Nor does leading the prayer, or

other various functions held DURING the meetings.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Well I know how it felt being Brother "A" and being treated like a second or third class brother, I wasn't good enough for them, only read up front the Watchtower once, because three brothers that usually do it were not there..... I did put also the congregations route system on pc for them, yes lots of work, but I counted the hours as service time.... It pushed my hours alot for a couple of months though... Lapuce

• greendawn
    greendawn

Who cares about the JW priviledges they are just another way to motivate the R&F to do more work for the corporation they are motivation tactics planned by a commercial corporation.

For the loyal dubs there could be a lot of infighting for privileges especially for elder positions. Where I was one of the elders made his son in law an elder when he clearly was not suited for this position other hopeful dubs that were more competent were really resentful by this move.

It was only after years that I realised how power lusting that elder was despite his humble appearence.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Greendawn, your point is well taken.

I think it reveals why so many men who are in lowly trades, labor, janitorial, etc. find fulfillment in the org. They are in a completely different pecking order than they are in the "world". These priviledges mean everything to them. This is why it is so common to find what I call the 'Watchtower Nazi' brothers to whom their position in the org. or on committees is the balm for their bruised egos as men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit