The Anti-Quote revisited

by daystar 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

I've seen a number of "quotes" topics posted, all filled with warm and fuzzy or humorous quotes. While I think they have their place, sometimes I think it's good to face the sober reality of existence. With that, a few quotes:

“A humanitarian God cannot be demonstrated from the world we know: today you can be compelled to admit this much. But what conclusions can you draw? 'He cannot be demonstrated to us': epistemological skepticism. You are all afraid of the conclusion: 'from the world we know, a very different god would be demonstrable, one who at any rate is not humanitarian' - and, in short, you hold fast to your God and devise for him a world we do not know."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

- FN

"To love is to value. Only a rationally selfish man, a
    man of self-esteem, is capable of love -- because
    he is the only man capable of holding firm, consistent,
    uncompromising, unbetrayed values. The man who
    does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone."

- Ayn Rand

Anyone else?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.

steve

• daystar
    daystar

Thought must be divided against itself before it can come to any knowledge of itself.
    - Aldous Huxley

A belief in hell and the knowledge that every ambition is doomed to frustration at the hands of a skeleton have never prevented the majority of human beings from behaving as though death were no more than an unfounded rumor.
    - Aldous Huxley

Conventional people are roused to fury by departure from convention, largely because they regard such departure as a criticism of themselves.
    - Bertrand Russell

In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.
    - Bertrand Russell

In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors, since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors, for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal applies only upwards, not downwards.
    - Bertrand Russell

• Brigid
    Brigid

Destiny is an absolutely definite and inexorable ruler. Physical ability and moral determination count for nothing. It is impossible to perform the simplest act when the gods say "no." I have no idea how they bring pressure to bear on such occasions; I only know that it is irresistible. ~Aleister Crawley Crowley

~Brigid

• daystar
    daystar

At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political idols.
    - Aldous Huxley

The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.
    - Albert Camus

Hear no evil, speak no evil - and you'll never be invited to a party.
    - Oscar Wilde

It's okay for Christians throughout centuries to exterminate races and for their priests to rape little kids throughout decades, but trying to give the people the power to think and be individual, that's evil?
    - Glenn Danzig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit