What's the R&F??

by Frog 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Frog
    Frog

i've been meaning to ask for like ages!...i get the meaning in context but can't figure out the accronym...no doubt it will be glaringly obvious once you've filled me in x

• daystar
    daystar

D'oh! Rank & File.

• luna2
    luna2

YAY! Something I can answer. LOL Rank & File...the peons of dubdom EDIT: Dang, too slow again.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The "R&F" JWs are the "rank and file" JWs or in other words the bottom of the pile. Other useful acronyms are AFAIK = as far as I know, IOW = in other words, FYI = for your information.

• Frog
    Frog

thanks guy, I can now sleep at night ;) hehe x

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

In the earlier publications, the Society (identified as the Faithful and Discreet Salve at the time) differentiated itself from the...for lack of a better term, "laity"...by contrasting the Society with the rank and file.

Basically, it was the old way of dividing clergy from laity without using the terms "clergy" and "laity". The new way is "Governing Body" and "Jehovah's Witnesses" but the meaning is unchanged. Special authority over and knowledge dispensed to underlings from up on high.

Oligarchy masquerading as Theocracy.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• ballistic
    ballistic

There was a thread a long time ago asking if the term was actually used in the publications but I can't find the particular thread.

• Frog
    Frog
    Oligarchy masquerading as Theocracy.

thanku for expanding on the history AuldSoul :) x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit