Fear Kept Me In

by individual 3 Replies latest jw friends

• individual
    individual

Does anyone remember the organisation in the 1980's, how the things that they said seemed to fit so perfectly with the world that existed at that time? Their ideas and prophecies as seen at that time seemed to be correct and everything was falling into place. I was a teenager at that time and the 'truth' had a very profound effect on me, I saw my family leave the org. but I couldn't because I feared that Armageddon was imminent.

During the 80s we saw the North and South pushing against one another where the King of the North was Russia and the King of the South was the Anglo American power. This seemed to fit perfectly. Another thing we saw at the time was the fear that people had in society for what might occur to the world - i.e. nuclear war, and the fear was very noticeable. On TV there were several programmes showing what could happen in the event of a nuclear war and people lived in fear of what may come about.

Communism was the evil empire and was a very real threat and since Russia was a major part of the UN it seemed likely that it was about to destroy Christendom. I remember articles in the WT and Awake from the news on how religion was being attacked by the governments. With the thought at that time that all things would be fulfilled within the generation of 1914 everything seemed to be going according to plan. We were looking ahead to the cry out of peace and security followed by the destruction of Babylon the Great leading to the Great Tribulation. With world events as they were back then this all seemed not only possible, but likely.

Fear that this may all come about was the main motivating factor in keeping me in the organisation. For members of the congregation we were standing on the threashold of the new system.

A giant leap to today, the year 2001.... no King of the North/South pushing, people no longer living in fear of nuclear war and communism no longer having a large influence on the world and Russia no longer being the evil empire. The situation in the world is now so different from that of the 80's, even the generation belief has been dropped. The organisation does not know who the King of the North or the King of the South are any more. World events have turned against the prophecies and beliefs of the JWs. The society now has lost a large part of its credibility and seems to be lost, holding on to its earlier belief system that fitted the world of the 80's but no longer fits todays world.

I wonder in what direction the WTBTS will go in now, since fear was a large part of its hold on people during the 80's. But with its credibility now in doubt how will it hold on to its rank and file?

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

Refering to the society's credibility as being "now in doubt" is much like saying that the Titanic's safety record is questionable.

• Flip
    Flip
    The situation in the world is now so different from that of the 80's

Great post indi’, however the ‘…situation of the world…’ has changed somewhat since the 80’s, I doubt not as much as we think. Maybe your perception of it has matured and become more realistic, while others who simply remain fearfully ignorant become fodder for the ‘WTB&TS printing press’ and the disingenuous within.

But with its credibility now in doubt how will it hold on to its rank and file?

I doubt the WTB&TS is overly worried about its credibility other than how internally the health of the JW community affects revenue and assets, in that regard the WTB&TS has a history of dealing well with damage control because of its inherent frugality.

Also, I seriously doubt it worries about holding on to its rank and file for the most part. Financial investments and asset growth now can easily take up the slack even if the corporation loses a large proportion of ‘hangers on’.

Getting rid of financially irrelevant ‘whistle blowers’ would seem to be their most expedient need along with extending a more open hand to government in an effort to procure a stronger lobby in the effort to protect the ‘special’ way the WTB&TS does business.

Flip

• josephus
    josephus

GREAT POST

i too grew up in the eighties. and maybe it all fitted so well because. we were children.

the great fairy story we learned at the meetings fitted perfectly, not with facts, but with
    the fantasy stories we were reading.

the idea of armageddon is easier to swallow when youve just read "the chronicles of narnia"
    we were children, and were ready for a big religion to fill our heads with crap.

chow

josephus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit