'Jehovah Unmasked' just dropped through the door!!

by lowden 7 Replies latest jw friends

• lowden
    lowden

The infamous Nathan Merrit book has just arrived abnd i'm brimming with anticipation. It looks very deep but i'm gonna wup its ass, i need to read this book because i have a feeling i may well agree with him! I'll post in a couple of days with my opinions when i've read it.

Peace

Lowden

• hallelujah
    hallelujah

If anyone needs a copy they can buy an electronic version at

http://www.lulu.com

• Clam
    Clam

Hallelujah thats a good link. Cheers. If you go to the Jehovah Unmasked link you can see lots of reader reviews too. The book has got a very strong reaction.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I'm about halfway through and I don't know if I can finish it

I'm frankly extremely disappointed with the text. Nathaniel Merritt, the author, seems to be extremely fond of substituting mainstream christian thinking with his own brand of gnosticism. While many of his points regarding the polytheism of the OT and the mythical nature of Adam & Eve etc etc are valid they're not new by any means. All of his arguments are pulled from other peoples research, which he seems to take at face value depending on whether it fits his own beliefs. I'd rather have a well researched critique from a bona fide scholar on ancient theologies and languages than from someone with their own angle passing judgement on the subject.

From reading Mr Merritt's history it seems he's been a confused individual for a while and has been searching for some sort of spiritual enlightenment for most of his life. He's settled (for the time being) on a mysticism that fits himself, his personality and his circumstance and not the reality of the world and the universe as they actually are, and science proves they are.

My opinion is I wouldn't recommend this book and the number of 5 stars handed out to this book on Lulu.com is misleading. There are much better researched, more informed, less derivative books available on composition of the OT and NT scriptures.

I'll try and finish the book and hope it gets better but I'm thinking it was $5 wasted.

• lowden
    lowden

Hey New Worldly T,

i'm getting a very similar feeling to what you describe and i'm only about a quarter of the way through it! He does seem to be a very confused individual, but i'm gonna finish it. There's alot of stuff going on in his head.

Peace

Lowden

• VM44
    VM44

"Jehovah Unmasked" is a useful book to inform a person that certain concept, topics and subjects exist, that there are ways of viewing Biblical history that are considerably different from the usual ways.

Use the "Jehovah Unmasked" book as a springboard to do further research and reading on your own.

--VM44

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Hiya Lowden. Yeah I'm gonna finish it too, it's always interesting reading stuff like this. Just not quite my philosophical cup of tea.

If your looking for an indepth critique of the OT & NT I can recommend 'Is It God's Word?' by Joseph Wheless. I've got it on my webspace along with a few others that might be of interest http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ataru/ebooks.htm

• lowden
    lowden

Hey NWT, just downloaded the Joseph Wheless book you recommended. Thanks for the link, i'll parouse it and give you a post with my opinions when i've waded through it.

Peace

Lowden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit