birthdays

by paws 6 Replies latest jw friends

• paws
    paws

Hi everyone and warmest wishes.....please can anyone help me with this....I'm a very, very ex witness single mum but my teenaged son's dad remains enslaved. My son has reached his own conclusions about JW beliefs and has now had the courage to voice his dissapointment to his dad about not recieving even a birthday card from him and of course I have supported him. I would like to be able to use some effective arguments with my ex about the JW stance on birthdays.

Thanks

• juni
    juni

Personally I don't think you're going to "get through" to him. Also, he has his standing in the cong. to look after. Perhaps just reinforce that with your son.

Enjoy his b/day with him. Maybe Dad will come around some day and regret what he's doing.

Juni

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

In the New World Translation, take him to the story of Job's children. I don't have a bible handy, so this is from memory. It talks about how they had the custom of gathering on each one's "day." Look up the references fcited for "day." All of them refer to a "birthday" celebration in the Bible. Job's kids were celebrating a birthday. There was a recent Question from Readers regarding (dismissing) this argument. I didn't feel it wasn't very persuasive.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Their arguments against birthdays are typical Rutherford tripe (Russell celebrated birthdays), just because birthdays mentioned in the Bible had bad outcomes that's no reason to do away with all birthdays. As for concentrating too much attention on one person that happens at weddings relative to the couple getting married.

• LDH
    LDH
    Job's kids were celebrating a birthday

Yep. And Job was celebrating it with them.

Try having your son ask the elders directly if celebrating a birthday is a df'ing offense. The elders will beat around the bush like a mo-fo but the answer is NO!!!!!

• AlmostAtheist
  • rubi
    rubi

Why did you get out of JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit