Atheism & Postmodernism

by SickofLies 2 Replies latest jw friends

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

The whole structure of postmodernism is built on a new view of the limits of reason. Science seems to confirm that reason only takes us so far. It is very good for solving practical problems, but not for solving the mysteries of the universe. We don't know if the universe is rational, if it is really built on the same logic used by the brain to solve problems. We can't climb out of our brain to verify the truth of our insights and first principles. As Heidegger said, we are like a fly in a bottle.

For example, is it true that events and things are really separate as our brain sees them? And there is the problem of language, which filters, interprets, and organizes our perceptions. The postmoderns say that the foundation of our knowledge is not reason, as the rationalists say, or emotion, as the romantics say, but language. We are born incomplete and language completes us. We are creatures of language. Reality becomes what we say it is. When we define things as real, they become real in their consequences.

What does this mean for atheism? Well, first of all, it means we are on the wrong track criticizing religions for their lack of reason. Both Christianity have been intensely rational. Their adoption of philosophy of the Greeks may explain their history of absolutism and intolerance. The 18th-century declaration of papal infallibility was based on the lock-step application of reason to an ancient mythic document that was never meant to be understood that way.

Postmodernism allows us to see how much of our lives is governed by the irrational. Even the great discoveries of science resulted not just from method and discipline, but from sleep deprivation, inebriation, whimsy, mistakes, and wild guesses. As Einstein said, "If at first the idea is not absurd, there is no hope for it."

That is why postmoderns put their hope not on reason or science, but on language, poetry, and fiction, which can create new worlds, contexts, and paradigms for pursuing peace, health, and happiness.

What this does is give atheists a way to break out of their shell of being anti-religious. We do not have to oppose the revelations of mystical experience. What we can oppose are the rationalist, authoritarian structures that exploit those experiences to create absolutism, intolerance, and atrocity.

Rather than rejecting religion as an irrational belief, we can see it as an almost universal experience. It has contributed to what makes us what we are and how we think.

What makes religion so dangerous is its intolerance. Do we have to be intolerant of religion? For all we know, Zeus and his pals might really be out there. Religion seems to be very good in presenting new visions of life. If they do help people become more peace-loving and tolerant, is that so bad? Cannot an atheist embrace religious experience without submitting to the constraints of dogma?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i know a lot of atheists take issue with postmodernism. i did for a while too. but i am a postmodernist and an atheist for sure. it's called the best of both worlds.

as your write up points out (well done btw, been following your posts), the technical explanations take about 45 seconds, and are generally pretty banal. true, but banal. as in, lacking poetry. left-brained. it really depends on imagination to make the rational explanations flower and bloom. but then, what are the postmodernists saying again? lol.

i mean, athiesm made me not afraid to be wrong anymore. atheism helped me shed doctrine like an old snake's skin. it made me less dogmatic and rule-oriented. which other direction, other than postmodernism, would that sort of attitude push me in?

after all my doctrine shedding, the last thing i want is for my worldview to continue ruling me. and so, i do what the hell i want, when the hell i want, with as much excessive metaphor as i want, regardless of whether it is behavour fitting an atheist, LOL. and that's been way more enjoyable for this big brained hairless ape.

a god among gods,

TS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Nice post SickofLies.

And, stepping one step further back, what is "postmodernism" itself if not a word, an idea, a fashion, a form? A blossom of the late 20th century which its own complex fragrance and shades of colours, including nostalgy and the irreversible, in our ever-changing field of cultural/lexical oxymorons?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit