Sabotage?

by Chia 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Chia
    Chia

I wasn't quite sure where to put this post.

I believe I'm being sabotaged at work--either that or I am going crazy. I left for lunch about 2 hours ago. There was a pile of work on my desk. When I came back, it had vanished. Now, I'm not the neatest person in the world, but I noticed immediately that the work was gone. In addition, the woman that sits across from me has taken a dislike to me for some reason. She complained to the boss that she must've done something to offend me because "I don't like her." That isn't true by the way--I've been nothing but nice to her.

My point is, is it possible that she's trying to sabotage me? My boss is trying to get us to cross-train so that I know how to do her work when she goes on vacation, and I'm thinking because I've been doing so well at work, she might feel threatened that I'm going to try and take her place (I could care less--I want to go to college so I can have a decent career!).

If I am being sabotaged, how can I protect myself?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Do you think the other person took your work pile and can you be certain? (asking because i don't know how many others are there)

Does your boss believe her when she's 'complaining' about you or is the boss reasonably fair? If she has talked about you often enough, should the boss be asking for your input on the matter by now - unless possibly they think she's talking a load of bull!

Maybe she's not used to people being nice to her so wonders what you're up to? (i've been there, done that *sigh*) in which case, possibly you need to cool off on the niceness - but don't turn into a total bitch lol!!!

If she's worked there longer than you then you may have a point about her feeling threatened by the cross training. If you do think she's sabotaging your work, you need to leave her with as few opportunities as possible to do that eg file your 'to do' pile away in a drawer before you go for a break so it would really be obvious that something is going on.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

• Chia
    Chia

I'm fairly certain, now, that it was her, it got put back on my desk "mysteriously", out of thin air. Hmm...and she never said a word about it.

It's not just this event, it's other events that make me believe this could be a possiblity. I'm not overly nice to her, I say good morning and just try to be generally polite. I don't carry on conversations, however, with ANYONE at work--that's just me. I'm there to do my job and that's it.

She's worked here way longer than me, I just got here and she's been here for years. My boss did mention to me that she felt I didn't like her for some reason, and did she say something to upset me? I do think my boss is fair though, because it was mentioned that she can be moody, and I just have to take her as she comes.

I think you're right in that I have to give her few opportunities to sabotage me, and everytime I step away for an extended break I will lock my work up in my desk!

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Well, the best thing to come out of this, is now you are on to her! She has: 1) Gone to your boss about you 2) possibly messed with your things on your desk behind your back.

Now that you are aware of her unfriendly intentions towards you, you can make sure to protect yourself from her mischief. At least now, you have a pretty good idea there is a problem there so you can lock up your things and be watchful.

• greendawn
    greendawn

This sort of behaviour is not unusual I think she feels insecure as you suspect, I had a similar experience when I began working, overall my experience is that there are too many jealousies and too much petiness at work. Better be self employed and work from home if possible.

Just make it clear to her that you have no ambitions to overtake and humiliate her.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I have had this sort of thing happen to me too. If possible, lock up your assignments in your desk and every time you step away from your desk, if it's a particular project you don't want tampered with. Also lock your computer every time you leave your desk so she can't do something on your computer that you could get fired for.

Not paranoid, just careful. If you have a real reason to feel this way, you should go to your boss with your concerns also. Troublemakers like that are such a pain in the ass.

• nsrn
    nsrn

I've worked with some difficult people, and I have some positive results by cautiously being MORE friendly--making a point to make eye contact, smile, make brief pleasant small talk, etc. Sounds like you definitely need to take security measures as others have suggested, too! Also keep a written record of incidents with dates, times, witnesses if there are any, etc. Just in case things come to a head...

• KW13
    KW13

if you could without using it stick a web cam on your desk plugged into PC...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit