ScienoSitter - Could a Watchtower Version be in the Works?

by Oroborus21 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings:

So I have been reading a little about the filtering software program, ScienoSitter (sometimes called "ScenioSitter"), used by the CofS to attempt to restrict access to info on the Internet by its members and it sorta raised my antennae a bit because I could easily envision a special Thursday night meeting where a JW-version could be distributed to all JWs who have a home computer (or made available from the literature counter) with "strong encouragement" to install the program.

Sure the program is easily circumvented and maintaining an updated list might be somewhat difficult, though perhaps no more difficult than updating anti-virus software and could even be automated, but still I could see that many JWs, especially JW parents who are not keeping up technologically with their kids, might install it thinking that it would be a good thing.

I could also see that it could be packaged with a new WT Library CD-ROM and installed as part of that process.

Now these thoughts are a little more paranoid and conspiratorial re: the Society than I generally lean, however, since I do see the Internet as being the most potent threat to the status quo and the greatest catalyst for change within the Organization, I would be willing to believe that the Society might be capable of implementing a tactic such as this.

Any thoughts?

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

• Scully
    Scully

It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to include something like this on their CD-ROM. They may even go so far as to imbed the program and installation .exe program so that in order to USE the CD-ROM effectively, the other program has to be installed first. And then, they'd make it so that if you tried to uninstall the "virus", the CD-ROM content gets uninstalled too.

Of course, I wouldn't want to give them any ideas... but I wouldn't put it past them.

And also, I'm sure if that ever happened, someone here would be able to hack around it and let us know about it before it screws up our computers.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

bttt for the day people

• M.J.
    M.J.

I don't know...I think that would raise more red flags than what it's worth (both from outside the Society and within), but I could be wrong.

• TheListener
    TheListener

MJ, if they explained to the friends that this was for their protection they would eat it up and be glad to do so.

They really feel that "mother" is looking out for them and when provisions like this come along the flock is happy.

I had a discussion some time ago with a good friend about the KM articles containing questions for certain articles (where they hadn't printed questions before but left it up to the speaker to create his own) and how the CAs and SADs have main points printed and reviewed in the KM prior to attendance and after attendance. I said that things like that make people's minds become lazy. They don't have to think so they don't. I didn't feel that it would be good for people's long-term spirituality to make everything so easy. He felt that I was being overly critical and picking at small meaningless things. He felt that the FDS knew how hard these last days are and are doing their best to lighten our load. I made some snide remark about why have the SADs or CAs when we could cover the main points in 20 minutes during the Service Meeting. He didn't appreciate that. In the end I felt like the FDS was controlling and manipulating and he felt they were protecting and lightening. go figure!

The end result is that dubs just know that the FDS is looking out for them and the more restrictive they become the more comfortable many dubs get. The dubs that aren't comfortable with it may end up here. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit