Present Truth, when was term discarded?

by Wasanelder Once 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I know there was a question from readers in the 80's I think that asked if we believe in "Present Truth". The answer was given that there is no "Present Truth", only The Truth. Oh, great. I can't find the reference, anyone know where it is? Also, they left the phrase, "and keep in step with 'present truth' " in one of the kingdom songs after that clarification in the WT.

Thanks,

W.Once

• blondie
    blondie
    2 Peter 1:12 (King James Version)
    Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.

As the WTS left off using other Bible translations from 1950 forward with the development of the NWT, the use of "present truth" faded. NWT

(2 Peter 1:12) For this reason I shall be disposed always to remind YOU of these things, although YOU know [them] and are firmly set in the truth that is present [in YOU].

• DocBob
    DocBob

Here is the most recent use of the term "present truth" that I found in the Watchtower magazine:

*** w66 3/1 pp. 146-147 The Additional Obligations of the Overseer ***
    13 If one is an overseer, or is reaching out for the fine work of an overseer, it is good to know exactly which qualifications are needed. Primarily, there are the Scriptural qualifications as outlined at 1 Timothy 3:1-10 and Titus 1:1-9. He must possess the fruits of the spirit. (Gal. 5:22, 23) He must be a mature, well-balanced Christian, well grounded in the Scriptures and present truth.

And a reference to that phrase in the "Proclaimers" book:

*** jv chap. 10 p. 121 Growing in Accurate Knowledge of the Truth ***
    Did they believe that they had all the answers, the full light of truth? To that question Brother Russell pointedly answered: "Certainly not; nor will we have until the ‘perfect day.’" (Prov. 4:18, KJ) Frequently they referred to their Scriptural beliefs as "present truth"—not with any idea that truth itself changes but rather with the thought that their understanding of it was progressive.

Finally, one from the "Revelation" book (1988)

*** re chap. 1 p. 8 Revelation - Its Happy Climax! ***

8 An even stronger reason for publishing this book is the need to keep up-to-date with present truth. Jehovah is continually shedding
    greater light on the meaning of his Word, and we can expect that our understanding of Revelation, along with other prophecies,
    will be sharpened as we draw closer to the great tribulation.
  • Scully
    Scully

DocBob:

Finally, one from the "Revelation" book (1988)

*** re chap. 1 p. 8 Revelation - Its Happy Climax! ***

8 An even stronger reason for publishing this book is the need to keep up-to-date with present truth. Jehovah is continually shedding

greater light on the meaning of his Word, and we can expect that our understanding of Revelation, along with other prophecies,

will be sharpened as we draw closer to the great tribulation.

How utterly ironic.... isn't the Revelation book the one that had changes / revisions in each of its updated editions? We were the only family in our book study group that didn't run right out and get brand new copies whenever they decided to re-study that book. It seemed like a waste of money and materials, so we just kept the original version (complete with our original underlining - no, not lazy.... "efficient"!! ) We would always pick up on the revisions when the paragraphs were being read.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The "PRESENT TRUTH" is the name of a competing religious magazine published by a group of Bible Students. :-)

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

So if today we have present truth....does that mean that previously we have had past falsehoods....surely not!

• Frog
    Frog

It's all about the "new light" DB!

Yes and no DiamondBlue.

Yes they did give falshoods in the past, the truth then, But the present truth is still going to turn out to be falshoods also.

I have heard the phrase "truth for a time" also. Have you guys heard this one?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I thank you all for your input. I still seem to remember that there was an article or question from readers that actually stated that the JW's dont use "Present Truth" for a specific reason. I thought it became a no no and was dropped. I couldn't find it either. I guess it was wishful thinking, or some sort of fever dream.

Thanks again,

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit