Awake "the generation of 1914 will not pass away,the Creator's promise" ???

by run dont walk 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

we all know this phrase very well from the masthead of every Awake magazines from 1983 - 1995.

my question is ... exactly how long did this run, and why was it stopped in the 1980's as well of course in 1995

In COC it says it ran from 1988 - 1995, when I was home last summer had a chance to look at some old bound volumes, and I know it was in as early as 1983, I have heard that it was taken out in 1987 and put back in about a year later in 1988, is this true,

Can someone look through their bound volumes and figure out EXACTLY how long this ran, and was it taken out for a little bit, and what replaced it, in 1987 and 1995.

Also what did it say before this staement was ever printed back in the early 80's or late 70's,

Thanks, sorry i dont have a cd-rom or bound volumes to look it up myself

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 10/93 p. 8 Using Our Magazines From House to House ***

The purpose of Awake! is stated clearly on page 4 of each issue: "This magazine builds confidence in the Creator’s promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away." Certainly such a magazine deserves as wide a distribution as possible in our house-to-house ministry!

• VM44
    VM44

This is a good example to bring up when a JW says "We never spoke in the name of Jehovah".

Yes they did! In every issue of the Awake! where it was written "The Creator's Promise" a direct statement attributed to Jehovah was made.

Why do the Witnesses always cover over what they have done and said in the past? Can't they just admit and acknowledge that they have indeed spoken in the name of Jehovah?

Really, Fred Franz on the witness stand under oath even said that "Jehovah God is the editor of the Watchtower"!

--VM44

• undercover
    undercover
    The purpose of Awake! is stated clearly on page 4 of each issue: "This magazine builds confidence in the Creator’s promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away." Certainly such a magazine deserves as wide a distribution as possible in our house-to-house ministry!

Well that maybe explains why they have cut back publication of the Awake! to once a month. The generation of 1914 has mostly passed away.

In a few years when the last few stragglers who saw the events of 1914 finally pass away they can then cease publication completely.

Then the WTS can say that the Awake! will have served its purpose and cease publication completely.

In a few short years, most dubs will have completely forgotten about the magazine, let alone the 1914 promise inside it, and once again the WTS will change their history and come up with some other reason as to why the Awake! ever existed and why it was no longer needed.

and the dubs'll buy it up.

• garybuss
    garybuss

For the Jehovah's Witnesses I know, being right is admitting you are wrong. That sort of completely removes the need to ever be right. No information about the Society being wrong will ever stumble a real Witness.

• gumby
    gumby
    No information about the Society being wrong will ever stumble a real Witness.

Sad but true Gary. Untill they allow themselves to 'entertain doubts", they'll remain. They feel even if the society has it's problems, they are the closest to the truth and there is nowhere else to go.

Gumby

• VM44
    VM44

I read once (but do not recall where) that the reason that "The Golden Age" magazine (which became the Awake!) was started was that the Watchtower had excess publishing capability. The printing presses were idle after printing the Watchtower magazines, and hence as the presses were not producing, they were losing money.

Hence a new income generating magazine was started, The Golden Age."

Do not ignore this fact, everything that The Watchtower does is motivated by the money invovled, either how much something will cost, or how much something will bring in.

--VM44

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

run don't walk, this is what I have on the generation of 1914. From March 1988 until Oct. 1995 was the Creator's promise and then in November 1995 it stated "this mag. builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peacefull and secure new world that is about to replace the present,wicked system of things." I thought this article in the Watchtower 1981-1 -15 fit that organization, it stated "Another instance in which we need to swallow our pride is to admit a mistake when we have made one. When we find out we really didn't no what we were talking about, the wise course to take is to admit it to others who may be affected by it."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit