Charity That Makes a REAL Difference...

by individuals wife 3 Replies latest jw friends

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

. http://www.thehungersite.com

Just found this website... thought it sounded like a nice idea, now this is my idea of charity. Makes a mockery of the charitable status of the JWs doesnt it? This is what life is all about, helping our fellow man now, giving them food to eat now, making their lives more comfortable now, not waving a couple of magazines at them and telling them fairy tales about a paradise earth. Magazines won't help fill the bellies of hungry people, no good looking after their 'spiritual hunger' if their physical hunger problems are not addressed.

I for one will be putting this on my list of things to do everyday.

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

My husband just said the other night how much it pisses him off that JWs (i.e., my parents) always make snide cracks about the Catholic Church.

I find it exceedingly interesting that the RCC, while having issues, still takes steps to help people in need, irregardless of their spiritual affiliations. Their charities help PEOPLE. Imagine that, actually following Christ's example...

Reagan

I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul.

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Reagan - interesting point... the one you raised about following Christs example - it brought to mind the feeding of the 5,000 with loaves and fishes - he didn't want them to go hungry did he? And the JWs always told us to be Christ-like - so we should imitate him and do what we can to relieve the suffering of people today. I once listened to an item that talked about charity and how the JWs filled the criteria because they were filling a need and producing magazines to spread 'the good news of the kingdom'. The brother talking to us then proceeded to slam the good work of 'worldly' charities saying that their work was all in vain and only Jehovah could bring an end to all the problems in the world. Not a very helpful comment for those in real need. He then referred to those who work in charity/thrift shops as 'goody-goodies'..... what a stinky attitude to have! At least they are making an effort to improve the lives of people in a practical and useful way.

• crossroads
    crossroads

Charity begins at home. Their are people going hungry,
    homeless right down the street . We as individuals can't
    feed the world but we can help feed the kids next door,
    and help house the homeless in our town. That way we
    know all our time and effort and all the money given has
    gone direct to those who need it . No middle men no
    Big Headed Comiedians using disabled kids to get a
    noble peace prize and stroke their ego's. Give directly
    to a Dr. thats doing research in your neighborhood.
    Give directly to a battered woman's center in your area,
    take your kids around "your hood" to beg for food to take down to your local food bank on a saturday. Let your light
    shine, let your soul shine, and let it spread worldwide
    one to another until ALL are housed and fed.

"You know I'm a Dreamer but I'm not the only one someday
    you all will join me and we will all live as one"

LET THE REFUGEE'S GET TO LAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    is that asking too much

P.S some churchs(not JW's )do wonderful work. A lady I
    know asked me to take her by a church(born again) they
    were going to give her food coupons(real money as far as
    the food store was concerned she would need no real money)
    I asked do you go to church no last time I was there I got married 11 years ago. JW's are you listening to this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit