Saul (Paul) vs Hitler. What was the difference ?

by google_mE 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• google_mE
    google_mE

What was the difference between Saul (later called Paul) and Hitler ?

Both had a hand in persecuting and killing people. Both thought they were doing the work of God. In their minds they were doing the "right" thing. However, Jesus appeared to Saul (Paul) and corrected his ignorant thinking. And as a result Paul changed his actions and helped many people come to know Jesus. Would Hitler have changed in a similar way if Jesus had appeared to him, as he did Paul ? Would millions of humans been saved from the holocaust if Jesus had made a simple appearance to this one man ? Was Hitler, potentially, the next great apostle ?

"Saul for his part, was approving of the murder of [Stephen]. Invading one house after another and, dragging out both men and women, [Saul] would turn them over to prison." (Acts 8:1,3) "Saul, still breathing threat and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest . . . in order that he might bring bound to Jerusalem any whom he found belonged to The Way, both men and women." (Acts 9:1,2)

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." (Adolf Hitler - Mein Kampf)

Whats your take ?

-mE

• JCinme
    JCinme

I'm sure that Hitler had heard of Jesus and was told about him. With all the Christians he had to deal with, who were helping hide the Jews, I'm sure if he wanted to he could've met Jesus, not in the same way Paul did but the way that one who accepts Him into their heart does.However, like John 15:24 says: "If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father." No matter what Jesus shows them, they will still not believe. There were thousands and thousands and millions and millions of people who saw Jesus' miracles but didn't belive in Him. When Jesus appeared to Paul it was miraculous, but Paul could still have kept a hard heart and continued killing Christians or at least not turn to Jesus. Hitler vs. Paul, I think that they both had the decision to make, one said yes and one said no and now we have two examples men who were given a great gift of power and how they used that power. It happens all the time, usually in smaller accounts.

• Golf
    Golf

In the grand scheme of things my question will always be, is really about us?

Golf

• google_mE
    google_mE
    I'm sure that Hitler had heard of Jesus and was told about him. With all the Christians he had to deal with, who were helping hide the Jews, I'm sure if he wanted to he could've met Jesus, not in the same way Paul did but the way that one who accepts Him into their heart does.

Paul heard of Jesus as well, but continued to persecute Christians. It wasn't until he saw him with his own eyes in a miraculous event that he changed his ways. Hitler was never given that chance.

However, like John 15:24 says: "If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father." No matter what Jesus shows them, they will still not believe. There were thousands and thousands and millions and millions of people who saw Jesus' miracles but didn't belive in Him. When Jesus appeared to Paul it was miraculous, but Paul could still have kept a hard heart and continued killing Christians or at least not turn to Jesus.

Paul could have stayed the same, but the fact is he did change. Countless people did witness Jesus and did not change. However, my point is that if even one person did change, would it not be worth it ? If Jesus appeared today in a miraculous event to the 6 billion people living today and only one person changed his wayward life, would it not be worth it ? (if he really does care about us, that is) 4 "What man of YOU with a hundred sheep, on losing one of them, will not leave the ninety-nine behind in the wilderness and go for the lost one until he finds it?" (Luke 15:4)

"[God] does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9) What's your take ? Golf -- What was your question again ?

-mE

• JCinme
    JCinme

I'm in agreement with you, me, (I sound like I'm talking to myself :P ). However, overall I don't think the issue is very important whether Jesus appeared to Hitler or not, everyone has to decide for themselves to believe in Jesus like you said. Plus, God's ways are higher than ours, maybe he knew that if he appeared to Hitler it would've made a difference. Isaiah 55:9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Ever wonder why so many of these discussions aren't discussions at all but just people arguing? It's a blessing to be able to talk without getting defensive or insisting on the falseness of another.

• cosmic
    cosmic

Interesting question. John Toland started his (generally accepted) definitive biography of Adolph Hitler by recounting an incident that happened to Hitler while in hospital recovering from a mustard gas attack while he was on the front line in Belgium. According to Toland, Hitler (who was temporarily blinded) learned of the armistace and capitulation by the German High Command and became severely depressed. Hitler later told others that he quickly fell into a deep sleep caused by his extreme state of depression, and while asleep he had a "vision" where an angel appeared to him and told him that he would lead Germany out of the Abyss.

Hmmm, go figure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit