Why you should report your time and organize a party afterwards.

by Trojan 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Trojan
    Trojan

This reasoning was recently used to argument why we all should fill out our monthly report slip and hand it nicely to the secretary.

The elder explaining this used the Organization book and starts mentioning the bible accounts that include numbers and figures in them! Like this one:

Judges 7:7 - Gideon gets 300 men to drink water...

Ok. Here goes the reasoning (logical?): This verse mentions a number. Numbers=counting. Counting="Report-your-time-and-fill-a-slip-by-the-end-of-the-month". This scripture MUST be telling us that numbers are important. So we answer this with the creation of a form, give this form a number,...all the formalities that surround this little piece of paper, that neither Jesus or Paul or others filled out.

Ok. Here goes MY reasoning. I could as well take the same scripture and reason: Men drinking together. 300 of them. What does it mean. Aaahhh, I know. Men + together + drinking = ORGANIZE A BIG BOOZE PARTY!!! Oh, off I go planning my party....

Trojan.

• Dune
    Dune

Apparently many witnesses have had the same idea.

Its been mentioned as a problem in the "Needs of our circuit" in the circuit assembly parts in the northeast.

let go of that daiquiri...

• blondie
    blondie

An old problem and an old faulty reasoning.

km 12/02 p. 8 Do You Contribute to an Accurate Report? ***

Many Bible accounts include specific numbers, which help to convey a vivid picture of what took place. For example, Gideon vanquished the camp of Midian with just 300 men. (Judg. 7:7) Jehovah’s angel killed 185,000 Assyrian soldiers. (2 Ki. 19:35) At Pentecost 33 C.E., about 3,000 were baptized, and shortly thereafter the number of believers grew to some 5,000. (Acts 2:41; 4:4) It is evident from these accounts that God’s ancient servants put forth much effort to compile a complete and accurate record.

I can see counting the attendance at a meeting, around 120 at Pentecost 33 CE.

I can see counting the number baptized.

But I don't see where the Christians ever counted how many hours they spent talking about the Bible, how many scrolls or codices they "placed," or how many individual studies they had with people.

Blondie

• Cellist
    Cellist

The only way you'll be able to turn that scripture into an ok for a booze party is if you also incorporate the scripture that has Jesus turning water into wine.

There are also scriptures that condemn counting.

Cellist

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

JW's suffer from the delusion that if you can illustrate something, you've proven it. All the better if you can draw from the Bible to build your illustration. Unbelievably, I only recently realized that even the dandiest illustration is only true if it actually is true.

Of course, they'd see right through YOUR illustration! (But I like it!)

Dave

• apostlestate
    apostlestate

somewhere in the OT King David got busted for taking a census-- like it was some sort of abomination

• cosmic
    cosmic

apostlestate, absolutely, quite astute. Here, here.

In furtherance of apostlestates observation, I have two questions on this thread (if this is grounds for being accused of hijacking, I apologize, that is not my intention).

1. Since the WTS uses 2 (and only 2) scriptures from the Bible to condem birthdays because, in neither case, the birthday result in no "good". Why is the same logic not applied to counting?

2. Why do you suppose the WTS is so fixedly anal about FS hours anyway?

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux
    1. Since the WTS uses 2 (and only 2) scriptures from the Bible to condem birthdays because, in neither case, the birthday result in no "good". Why is the same logic not applied to counting?

Because the desired conclusion determines the logic to be applied, and not the other way around.

2. Why do you suppose the WTS is so fixedly anal about FS hours anyway?

Because without numbers they can't have an "average" that everyone must strive to be above, thereby raising the average... [cycle repeats].

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit