Are Circuit Overseers the Fatal Link?

by metatron 8 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

If we are seeing an attempt by the Society to reduce its collective liability, then what about the Circuit Overseers?

I have long felt that, if the Society is unable to overcome a growing cloud of liability, then Circuit Overseers could become the

fatal link that brings them down. Clearly, they are remote agents of the Watchtower Society - although I would bet that Watchtower

lawyers would fight tooth and nail against the idea that they are employees of the WTS. Nevertheless, I would think that, sooner

or later, that classification must be made legally.

After that, what happens? Circuit Overseers use their cars to a degree far greater than Bethel elders - and that means liability.

Yet, the organization cannot maintain coherence without these itinerant KGB officers cracking the whip in local congregations.

Some years ago, there were rumors about trying some different arrangement in Europe, after problems with pensions and other

labor payments surfaced. The rumor was that they were going to try to put Ministerial School graduates in various congregations

to keep an eye on things - but that went nowhere.

What will they do?

metatron

• willyloman
    willyloman
    The rumor was that they were going to try to put Ministerial School graduates in various congregations to keep an eye on things - but that went nowhere.

They'd be viewed with heavy suspicion. One showed up in a neighboring congo once, having been "sent" by Mother. It was clear to me he wasn't respected. That might have been because he was in his 30s and wore really expensive cowboy boots with his suits.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Insightful --------------- Jehovah's Witnesses are thinking and the Watchtower is shrinking, i was in the cult and now i'm out.- Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

• atypical
    atypical

I think that is going to be a major problem. COs also have an unreal amount of power and decision making authority. I have heard complaints my whole life about COs from hard-core, "faithful" dubs. I mean things like calling them "the evil slave" and such. I think changes will have to be made, but I have no idea what the org would replace the COs with. They have to have some way of keeping control of the individual congos.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Interesting post as always, metatron.

If we compare the WT's position with the "wicked" churches we see that the equivalent employees to C.O.'s would probably be the bishops. They receive a stipend/salary - it's not a large amount, despite what the dubs make out, and as employees they are subject to all the benefits and responsibilities of the state labor laws. So too are local ministers. As such the church must pay the required insurances and superannuation too.

Now for the WT, they get these guys for free and so don't have to comply with labor laws.

Interesting, isn't it, that it's the churches who seek to comply but not the "true christians" WTS?

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

I remember a workmate years ago whose parents were witnesses telling me that back in England they used to call them"Circuit Serpents" instead of the old title of Circuit Servants. I've always wondered how the society gets away with them getting welfare and being a CO and wife team working together with their shiny new car? Anyone know if this is what does happen .? Does'nt seem honest when you think of all the butt kissers who give them money along their circuit work!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Ah - do I see the Company Servant as the PO used to be called making a comeback

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    The rumor was that they were going to try to put Ministerial School graduates in various congregations

to keep an eye on things - but that went nowhere.

I think the MTS graduates are loosing their awe in the congregations because there are so many of them out there now. We have several in our cong. now. I will tell you one thing though they are still viewed by the CO as the best thing since "sliced bread" and are given talks on assemblies, appointed to assembly committees, etc..

I for one would be happy if these "bishops" stopped coming every 6 mos because everyone behaves so phony.... its so stupid and unchristian.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

What is the organizational structure, could someone PM me with a link or post it here. I am new to this stuff and trying to figure out what a CO is vice a bethel elder etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit