Amish Volunteers are comming to my home to repair my roof, any suggestions

by lighthouse1956 3 Replies latest jw friends

• lighthouse1956
    lighthouse1956

Katrina ruined my roof, and they're comming to fix it. I'm fixxing a big lunch for them & need suggestions on beverages, food, etc. Colas, tea, coffee etc. Pork, shellfish?

Thanks for suggestions, I don't want to offend them in any way.

• hubert
    hubert

Amish....Wow! That's cool !!!

I have no idea what to tell you, except maybe you can look up their lifestyle on line, and figure out what to feed them from that. Oh, and don't let anyone take any pictures or movies of them. I know for a fact they frown on that. It iS against their religion.

Good luck, and have fun.

What, no j.w.'s?

Hubert

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Your question tickled a faint memory of something I read about Amish diet years ago; so I went websurfing.

Cultural Diversity: Eating in America - Amish

"Those with access to motorized transportation buy more high-fat snack foods and eat out in restaurants more often than those who travel by horse and buggy."

"The Amish prepare most of their food from scratch, but some also use mixes and instant foods. They preserve all of their own fruits and vegetables and much of their meat by canning. Homemade bologna is popular and is usually made without the casing. Some Amish will occasionally purchase frozen foods as a change of taste or as a treat. Many rural families have their own milk cow and make cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. Those near urban areas usually buy these items at the supermarket or cheese houses...

"The main meal of the day typically consists of noodles, macaroni, or potatoes; meat, which is often fried; and [home-]canned vegetables. Homemade or supermarket-bought bread is served at every meal. The lighter meal commonly consists of soup, cheese or bologna, and fruit. Snacks are usually apples, cookies, or leftovers."

I can't find any references to cola or coffee. I'd serve lemonade, but ask them when they arrive if they'd like soda and coffee as well. Apparently they do eat pork.

g ently f eral

• hubert
    hubert

They might even bring their own food, and have the women cook it for them. If it looks like that will happen, buy an assortment of fruit....grapes, watermelon, apples, cantelope, nuts, etc.

I imagine any kind of fruit is okay with the Amish.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit