My visit with bro & sis regular pioneer. Worse than anticipated

by xjwms 6 Replies latest jw friends

• xjwms
    xjwms

What was to be a vacation, turned ugly midweek. My wife wanted to connect with family, .. and I am all for that.

One uncle and aunt are regular pioneers and he is an elder. Well we met them at their home. We planned a trip to the beach because that is where they wanted to go. About an hour drive, I am doing the driving, he is in the front, seat my wife and aunt are in the back seat.

Conversation was all good, ..work,.. business, ..investments ..and other family members. We get to where they wanted to be. I was not about to eat at a greek family restaurant. Its just that I have had my fill, and wanted something better. Two blocks away was an upscale seafood shrimp house, lotsa fancy cars in the lot. I buy lunch. Appi-teasers, combo platters, and dessert$. I am feeling all warm and goooy because its all good. We all walked on the beach for about an hour, .. my wife and aunt went off on their own and I really connected with the uncle, about family issues, .. that we both agreed on.

On the way back ...... it felt like an intervention......the aunt is the aggressive one....her mouth cranking on like a machine. The term "IN THE TRUTH" was said over and over ... until I was ready to scream. At first she seemed sincere asking about talks I gave ... and .. then switched the conversation over to how the watchtower never said, .."ANYTHING WRONG"

Thats when I finally said I am ready to fight you on that, .. and I will not let up. I was all about 1975 at this point....and she refused to get it. When we finally got back to their place she said .... she was sorry I was no longer a spiritual man.

So I repeated that to my wife in their presence.....and nothing more about it was said. The uncle was not talking... He only asked...Is it the friends or the organazation you have a problem with?????? I said it was the judgemental people. ( I would not fall in that trap.)

On the way back to the time share where we were staying, .. I told my wife that I will never visit with them ever again. If she wants to see them, ... You are on your own, Do not include me again.

I have done everything I could to keep peace with my wife, this was a big test, I do not deal well with aggresive women, if my wife was even 10% of what the aunt was, ................ I'd walk,...and she knows it.

I truely am XJWMS

• Dune
    Dune

Sorry to hear that.

Ever notice how people try to qualify their viewpoints by saying things like. "I'm sorry you're not spiritual" or "You'll see the truth in the end"

Frankly, people really dont have sense.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I am also sorry to hear about this, but I can see the same happening next time I am with my wife's (who is an inactive jw) family who believes they are 'in the truth'. Each time I answer the phone and it is her mom, if I say I am not feeling well it is due to adam and me not putting my faith in Jehovah. I have a really tough time biting my tongue and if it were in person, most likely would not!

• Emma
    Emma

I'm surprised you got that far before being hit. They felt entitled to take advantage of your generosity (theo warfare) and then turned nasty.

This ambushing happened to me when my dad was dying from cancer. I was inactive and had told my family there was nothing I was going to discuss with any of them. My sisters phoned to arrange a meeting so we could plan out how we were going to help my mom care for my dad. They outright promised they'd respect my wish not to talk about what had "happened." They got me on the inside seat of a booth at a restaurant and let me have it; I was silent, refused to give them even one word to get me with. People in the restaurant were looking at us; voices must have gotten raised. My sister told me they promised my mom everything would be "fixed" with me when they got back. I never heard from anyone again until my dad was dead.

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

It always amazes me that people who devote themselves to a religion 'hear' things but don't apply it to their lives. Matt 7:1: "Stop judging".

Very simple, but people do it anyway. They become full of righteousness but do not have the understanding to back it up. Just their cronies who speak the same judgmental language.

The funny thing is: they are going to be having a Watchtower study on having the patience of Jehovah very soon. I can guarantee you, she will not be calling to apologize which if she really understood what she was listening to, she would do.

Witnesses have all the answers. They do their research and have studied for the test. The only problem is that they studied for the wrong test.

And so it goes ...

• willyloman
    willyloman

A dub at work, another department, don't see him that often, has been avoiding me for nearly a year. But two days ago he came into my office and asked if I had a minute. He presented me with a copy of a page from a KM and said this was the topic of the meeting the other night and "it made me think of you."

It was about an inactive dub who was reactivated by someone who showed concern and arranged for a bible study to rebuild the inactive one's faith.

I asked him why he thought I'd be remotely interested in this.

He said, "Well, you must be unhappy about missing meetings."

I asked if I appeared to be unhappy.

He said, "No, just the opposite."

I told him we were in fact happier than we'd every been.

His response? "Well, that's because Satan isn't putting any pressure on you."

They just make you laugh, don't they?

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Yeah, they are a pain in the ass aren't they!

The point I have been making to my wife ALOT lately is that whenever a dub rubs me the wrong way, it isn't that I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE JW!!!!

Seriously. Do I care if they believe Michael is Jesus and he returned in 1914 to direct his publishing company?

Hell no!!!

Whenever I have a problem with a dub it is because of the way they behave.

You didn't mind your aunts beliefs. You minded her prattling on and on. You didn't mind your uncle's beliefs. You resented him PRESUMING that your problems were out of some sort of dishonesty or moral failing or petty squables with the "friends".

Hang in there. It isn't you. What is madness to us is comfort to them.

Just don't let your wife make you out to be a bad guy here. Just put it back on them. How would she like someone prattling on to her about how the Catholics are never wrong. After awhile it would be sort of obnoxious wouldn't it? Focus on the behavior. Ignore the doctrine. If you bring the doctrine in, then they are being persecuted!!!

CYP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit