further to the walmart thread....

by nowisee 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowisee
    nowisee

what has YOUR experience been with corporate america?

positive or negative?

care to elaborate?

• wombat
    wombat

Negative.

Australians have been wearing Ugg boots for years. (Those inside-out sheepskin boots). They were invented in Australia and there are many manufacturers. Then some bloody Yank company copyrights the name in Australia and won't let any Aussie company use the name.

Arnott's biscuits are an Australian icon but were bought out by a big American corporation. Now they have the hide to play Waltzing Matilda on their TV commercials.

The majority of funeral parlours in Australia are owned by big American corporations.

Oh...I could go on and on about big American corporations invading Australia.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Bad. My employer closed 7 of its stores last week, without notice to its employees. They just called us the night before and told us. I smell a class action suit comin' on.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

We have loads of American brand names etc in the UK. Trading-wise, Costco seems to be making inroads too.

On the whole, the merchandise we sometimes sell in our shop which has been made in the USA tends to be good quality i hope you don't go the way we've gone, most of the manufacturing side is dead here

• wednesday
    wednesday

Everyone at my DH company is walking on eggshells for fear fo losing their job. They are hanging on by a thread, first they lost the Dell contract, but they then got the the Walmart contract. As long as they hang on to Walmart, it should be ok. They are doing frequent pop drug screens. One guy lost his job b/c he had hurt his arm over weekend and his wife gave him a couple mild pain killers thinking it was a a short term nature. He had no history of an drug abuse.,excellent employee. But he did not have a script for the pain killers, so they canned him on the spot. No rehab programs at this company. People are being "written up " for minor mistakes and everyone is edgy. They are looking for the problem people first of course, get rid of them. Now they are down to the good employees. Talked to the Texas work force, and they said this is what companies do to avoid having to pay so much unemployment when they lay off people . If they can fire you first, and make it stick, you lose. They suggested we talk to the EEOC or just quit and find another job. . I know they help some, but in Texas it is so hard to get any rights at all. . I will say one thing however, once on a job I had a new manager came in and started writing people up right away. So we all knew we we history..She was one by one replacing us with her staff from a previous job, her friends. It was a bloddy awful mess, and only one person survived. it. But I presented my case and backed uit up and got unemployment. Much to their chagrin. Tried going EEOC but they just pointed out the paper trail the manager had made ,and listened to no explanations. . About all the EEOC is known for here is racial discrimation. suits. However if you are not ethnic, kiss yor job goodbye, unless you have something on a camcorder or tape,keep copious notes.and can catch them setting you up. Most peole know when you get written up for small stuff, your days are numbered. Start looking for another job. But sometimmes it is not that esasy, depending on your field.

Texas is a hard place to be sick/disabled/unemployed in. We have few programs for the needy. I have seen those places that offer handhout of food and clothes, One had quotes, or rather threats from the "Bible all over the wall. .

BTW,. my young adults says the Katrina survivors clogged up texas resources so bad, our own citizens are beig turned away. And they have moved into previouly quiet aparttments and in one case I know first had, 2 armed robbery's occured. They were caught and it was the katrina survivors. People are leaving the apartment. I have bloodi n my veins,not ice, but when it comes to my family, katrina survivors go home.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wednesday, Cracker Barrel pulls the same kind of junk with their employees. If you were in the retail part, it's even worse. A wise person told me to hang in there and rode out the bench manager fresh from training in home office. She came in and started lowering eveyone's evals and harrassing us. She liked me at first, until I stood up for my sales team. But she made some big mistakes. She put so much pressure on us, in front of customers, to be pushy that she drove off 30 % of the business over the first three week period after her arrival.

I'm very observant and vigilant with sales statistics. I noticed the correlation between her tactics and the drop in business. When she finally started hiring brand new people, kids with bad attitudes and weak work ethics and giving them fulltime, daytime/weekday hours, I went to the GM. He took notes over a 45 minute period. I finally told him to go back in the records and look to see if the drop in their business didn't match up to Meredith's arrival. Bingo! She was gone within two weeks, to another store. I stayed and ended up doing much better with the new manager.

People are being "written up " for minor mistakes and everyone is edgy. They are looking for the problem people first of course, get rid of them. Now they are down to the good employees.

This is the saddest, most illogical thing about Cracker Barrel, they will keep poor employees they like better and treat their hardest working employees like vermon.

I am not suprised that they chose to close Seven stores without notice. They told us it was to protect their brand. It was all about them not wanting to lose any business or profits at the stores to be closed. It's a bad business practice and they will actually lose some business over it. I know most of us who found ourselves suddenly unemployeed will not give them our business any longer. And our family and friends will boycott them as well. I am praying there will be a class action suit. They should not get away with doing this to their employees. Lots of people supported families from their jobs there.

I believe we will all be eligible for unemployment. I have heard that Cracker Barrel will sue people for the unemployment benefits. I had a friend who Meredith ran off. She tried to make her sign a paper guarenteeing she would bring in 25% of the combined business during her shifts. They said, "Sign it or quit." She quit, drew benefits and then they took her to court to recover the paid benefits. Anne won her case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit