Is there anyone with strong opinions that will accept responsibility?

by DavidChristopher 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Is there anyone who believes so much in their opinions being right they will accept the responsibilty for misleading anyone who chooses to adopt their opinions as their own? Would the GB accept the responsibility of their truth/opinions misleading millions? I wonder if they believe their own BS that much? Or they really don't believe in God, and they will ever be held accountable?

What do you all think?

• Nellie
    Nellie

I kinda had this conversation earlier tonight - personally, I think they've ALL been so brainwashed that they all believe it all... then again, where else do they have to go?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ray franz was a GB member.

if a GB member apostasised tomorrow, and started posting on JWD, would you accept him like any other ex-JW?

sure, i know as well as any of us apostates that the GB is "responsible" for a lot of suffering. but, on the other hand, are they not victims just as we are? victims of the previous GB members that came before them, and inspired them? and then we get all the way back to russell. do we forgive russell? why wouldn't we? he was a victim to xianity, and his time, as much as any average j-dub today is. and the guys before him, right back to freaking cain and able, are all just victims to religion.

we're all, all of us: GB members, j-wits, muslims, jews, xians, us, everyone, are victims to God. this concept, that irony of ironies, we created ourselves. this thing we call God.

since when do you make victims of the same abuse that you went through, accept responsibility for something vague like "misleading people", without making a massive judgement call that you are somehow a better person than they are.? don't make me ask: "what is better?" - because i don't want to.

TS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Is there anyone who believes so much in their opinions being right they will accept the responsibilty for misleading anyone who chooses to adopt their opinions as their own?

Isn't it what much of everyday conversation, in the so-called "real life" or on Internet forums, is about? Whoever "shares" an opinion desires, or at least accepts the responsibility of influencing people. Potentially misleading them if s/he's wrong.

Not to mention political propaganda, commercial advertisements, etc., which have made "communication" a powerful technique.

Would the GB accept the responsibility of their truth/opinions misleading millions? I wonder if they believe their own BS that much? Or they really don't believe in God, and they will ever be held accountable?

One of the most illuminating things I remember from Ray Franz's Crisis of Conscience is the portrait of his uncle, Fred Franz. Half sincere, half cynical. That applies to many people in the middle and higher spheres of religion, politics, charities I guess. The bittersweet result of making a profession out of a conviction.

When we were JWs we were not too much bothered with the idea of misleading people, were we?

One of the most "sobering" thoughts of the Gospel perhaps, in Matthew 12:36f, ambiguous as it is:

I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless (idle? groundless? empty?) word you utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Nice point T.S.

I never thought about it like that. When I was attending the meetings I never got the impression they were intentionally misleading anyone. I wonder if anyone really is? Or are they all just ignorant and don't know any better? Hard to call...without being God.

Truth is a truly a powerful thing.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    would you accept him like any other ex-JW?

I would. Sometimes it takes time to grow a sack, 81 years even.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit