What would happen??

by Kristofer 9 Replies latest social relationships

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

If an active JW woman chooses to marry a Catholic man,
    would she essentially be disassociating herself?
    Would she be disfellowshipped?
    Under any circumstance, would she be allowed to continuing being a JW?

I'm not talking about someone who marries a JW and then one spouse leaves. I mean knowingly entering marriage with a "wordly" person....

I'd especially like to hear what some Elders or ex-Elders say about this. What would the discipline be?

• prophecor
    prophecor

Off With His/Her Head

• prophecor
    prophecor

OK, in all honesty, she would be strongly encouraged to disband the relationship with the offending outsider. She would be given all sorts of counsel on the "unevenly yoked" issue in scripture. If she's having sex with you and she confesses and refuses to turn from her wicked ways, she will thereupon be disfellowshipped. I see you are a Catholic and you are dating each other. Have you informed her as to this web site? She may have a chance to see this religion for what it really is. Good luck with dealing with her. I'm the witness along with one who believes of another faith. It's a real complicated mix. Especially when your working thru your relationship, without first coming to know truth about the Jehovah's Witnesses in the first place.

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

So, in other words, she'd be encouraged to divorce me?

I have tried getting her to go here in a round about way... We are currently broken up, but I was just wondering if she decides that to be apart is too much to bare and she decides to be with me, even though she's already been reprimanded by the elders for seeing me, will she in a sense be choosing to disassociate herself by choosing to be with me???

Also, if she disassociates herself by her actions or if she is disfellowshipped, is it possible to go back to being an active JW and still be married to me?

• prophecor
    prophecor

So, in other words, she'd be encouraged to divorce me

If it is you are married already, then the damage has already been done. I don't see where they would try to encourage her to divorce, as if they would let her get along in her life. " You've made your bed, now you must lie in it " type of situation. I'm not sure if they would encourage an annulment but there are those here, more knowledgeable than I who may be able to better inform you.

...if she decides that to be apart is too much to bare and she decides to be with me, even though she's already been reprimanded by the elders for seeing me, will she in a sense be choosing to disassociate herself by choosing to be with me???

Her actions, by remaining in contact with you will cause her to eventually forfeit her right to continue as a Jehovah's Witness in good standing. Depending on the situation, they may dis-fellowship her because her position is one where she has disassociated herself via her conduct. Especially if the two of you are living together, unmarried.

Also, if she disassociates herself by her actions or if she is dis-fellowshipped, is it possible to go back to being an active JW and still be married to me?

After she has had the prescribed degree of punishment met out to her, by her no longer being able to be spoken to by all members of the fellowship thru out the entire world, when it is she has become so despondent and tortuously depressed over having overstepped the boundaries of the Christian Congregation, when she is reduced to tears and guilt and shame and is publicly made herself available to meeting attendance on a regular basis, although no one in her congregation, friends or family members will say one word to you, only then, and even then its a maybe, if they feel you have suffered enough, the elders in the congregation may look to restoring her privileges of fellowship.

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

Thanks Prophecor!

Can anyone else weigh in on this?

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Kristofer,

I married a 'worldly man' and there was no discipline meted out to me, other than the fact that I was forever thereafter viewed as a 'spiritually weak' one for having done so.

To marry an unbeliever, was not/and is not, a disfellowshipping offense. That surprises me but......

There are Watchtower articles, that put you out to pasture basically for having married an unbeliever and they have included the thought that even though one is not disfellowshipped for it, Jehovah knows what you did and will judge you for it. I remember sitting through those studies and feeling the guilt heaped upon me, and turning red as a beet - even though my husband did eventually 'be won over' and got baptized.

I wish I had the actual WA articles with that kind of thought expressed (above), but I don't at this time.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

By the way:

Do NOT follow my husband's example and allow yourself to be 'won over' and convert to the cult of JW's.

Thirteen years after his baptism, we both finally, together, realized we were on the wrong path.

Only now are we experiencing the true joy of life.

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

Thanks for weighing in on this. I appreciate the insight. Don't worry, I won't be "won over" I don't see how I could knowing all that I know now.

I just wish she could see what she is involved in.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

From the elder's handbook " Pay Attention to Yourselves and All the Flock" Page 132,133

Marrying an unbeliever is contrary to Bible principles .

(Deut. 7:3, 4 ; 1 Cor. 7 :39 ; 2 Cor. 6:14, 15)

If a dedicated, baptized Christian marries an unbeliever,

this would result in disqualification from all special

privileges for the time being . (1 Tim . 3 :2, 4, 5, 12, 13 ;

w82 3/15 p . 31)

If the parent is an elder, a ministerial servant, or a

pioneer and encourages, allows, or gives tacit approval

to the marriage, this raises questions regarding

his or her qualifications .

Never heard of anyone being disfellowshipped for this - although onetime I saw a DF'ing over a sis marrying one who was disfellowshipped. The elders said 'she had thrown her towel in with the wicked in so doing'.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit