About Furuli's and Stafford's books

by Liquidizer 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Liquidizer
    Liquidizer

I have classified the books by Furuli and Stafford to the same pile as A. H. McMillan's book Faith on the March. It's just one way in their trying to have an influence on those people who can't be reached by the ordinary forms of witnessing or to whom the WT literature don't appeal to. It's sad the WTS has to use these kinds of pseudo-scholarly writers or pseudo-objective methods in their trying to advance their interests. Especially that book of Furuli shows that C.-O. Jonsson's has caused the WTS a lot of trouble.

L.

This is the noise that keeps me awake
    My head explodes
    And my body aches

-Garbage

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Or C-O left out alot of information.

• VM44
    VM44

"...Especially that book of Furuli shows that C.-O. Jonsson's has caused the WTS a lot of trouble"

What is "that" book of Furuli's?

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Liquidizer:It's sad the WTS has to use these kinds of pseudo-scholarly writers or pseudo-objective methods in their trying to advance their interests.
    Just how are you being able to call Furuli and Stafford "pseudo-scholarly writers". Are people "pseudo-scholarly" when they agree with the Witnesses, but "scholarly" when they disagree? At which education level do you draw the line between "scholars" and "pseudo-scholars"?

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

> http://www.elihubooks.com/

Stafford and Furuli. LOL

• AlanF
    AlanF

To TheOldHippie:

The difference is that a true scholar usually tries to remain unbiased and work from evidence towards conclusions. Pseudo-scholars by definition are biased and usually work from conclusions towards selecting evidence that supports the conclusions and ignoring or simply dismissing evidence that doesn't fit. Unbiased people distinguish one from the other, not by what conclusions the claimed scholar agrees or disagrees with, but by how he presents evidence and arguments.

It is a simple matter of observation that most defenders of Watchtower teachings and policies fall into the "pseudo-scholar" category. They have no choice, really, because to support many such teachings and policies they can only point to the opinion of JW leaders presented in WTS literature. They can't admit that, of course, but they still must support WTS teaching or be booted out. Thus the usual JW defender starts out with the 'knowledge' that some point is 'right', then proceeds to search through piles of evidence for bits that seem to support the desired conclusion. Often, a large pile of discarded evidence results, and only a small pile of supportive evidence, or none at all, remains.

Furuli showed his true colors this past spring during a series of online discussions about blood transfusions in a discussion forum related to the British Medical Journal. He distinguished himself by refusing to answer pertinent questions, misrepresenting other questions, and generally failing to prove the Society's claims about blood. Furuli has also misrepresented himself in several online forums, giving the impression to a number of posters that he was not even a Jehovah's Witness so that he could appear religiously unbiased. Furuli distinguished himself some years ago by writing a lame and thoroughly dishonest 'refutation' of a small number of arguments presented by Carl Olof Jonsson in The Gentile Times Reconsidered. The few JWs who were allowed to get copies were instructed not to allow anyone else to see them. Of course, someone sent Jonsson a copy, who quickly debunked all of Furuli's claims. Furuli then announced a recall of his piece, rewrote parts of it, and re-released it with the same instructions.

Stafford distinguished himself as horribly biased in his defense of the Watchtower Society's actions with regard to 1975, in his book Jehovah's Witnesses Defended. Several people have commented on this board about this the past couple of days. Oddly enough, his defense of the Society's blood policy in that book was almost apologetically lame.

AlanF

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

AlanF,

Good points!

I am sure they fall on deaf ears. I have raised the same points as well as others with JWs that idolize these JW apologist. I would like to know how much the WT is paying these clowns to fleece the RF.

• Liquidizer
    Liquidizer

Thanks Alan. You seem to understand my point. The both men behind their books may be well educated, as Mr. Furuli is, and they can be considered as scholars in their research fields. I dont deny that. But why on earth they must hide the fact from their audiences that they also are JW's? It's beyond my comprehension. It would be honest from their part to openly confess that they are JW's. Their view cant be taken scientifically objective what it comes to JWism. Why they must try to give an false impression to their readers that they are outside researchers interested in the JW's? Well, that's the reason I classify them ''pseudo-scholars'' what it comes to a religion called Jehovah's Witnesses.

In the case of Jonsson I dont believe he's right in everything as I dont believe that the JW's are wrong in everything. There's too much dogmatism on the both sides.

L.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit