"You young ones..."

by My Name is of No Consequence 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

"You young ones, are you worried about college, a career, retirement? Why? The end is so close!"

How many of us have heard that and are better (or worse) for it?

Perhaps I should add that I was one of the "lucky" ones. After high school, I worked a little bit before going to college and getting a degree. For the most part, it has worked out for me in that regard. But I know that others weren't so lucky. Most of us obeyed and didn't go to college or save for retirement and are paying dearly for it, even decades later. I'm not saying that a degree would guarantee a good paying job and retirement security, but it would have certainly helped.

What say you?

• cappytan
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I passed on a couple great opportunities after graduating from High School because I was going "to be a minister" (pioneer)........PUKE!

Fortunately I changed my mind about that "career choice", but I never wised up enough and went to college because The End(TM) was always right around the corner. We're "OK" financially thanks to investing right and a company pension plan, but I'm very resentful about what "could have been" and at my age (I don't buy green bananas) not much is going to change. My "future" hope is for my kids and grandkids.

Doc

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

And the loss goes far beyond mere financial matters.

It also means that so many of us lost the opportunity to develop the required social skills, confidence and personal self esteem that extra education and study delivers!

At least Mormons encourage their followers to go to college. Is there a correlation between that and why most of them are so wealthy?
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    So much success in life comes from who you know, connections you have, doors someone has opened for you, pure luck of being somewhere at the right time. 'Worldly' people know to jump on those opportunities, they are precious. Witnesses jump in the way of the door, 'hey, don't go in there, Armageddon is near! That could distract you from the real life!!' I had a witness piano teacher who sometimes got excited about my progress, and would say 'I could train you to be a concert pianist!!!.......but those are worldly goals, pioneering should be the focus, this old system is ending.' Ugh. Either we closed those doors for ourselves, or someone else closed them. I remember a 'sister' bragging at a wedding that her son had been offered a couple of million dollar baseball contracts when he was finishing high school, but he chose to turn them down to pioneer. Wonder where he is now.
  • garyneal
  • daringhart13
    daringhart13

There is no greater proof that JW's are a CULT than their constant desire to keep you from being a more educated person.

It is proof the entire 'belief' system is based on fear and control.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS exploits people's ignorance, not only on secular broad based knowledge but on theological knowledge as well.

It lies to lure people into their control and means. $$$ ...... simple

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit