Nortripyline ~ Any personal experience/advice?

by damselfly 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• damselfly
    damselfly

My doc just wrote a prescription for this. Antidepressant that aids in chronic pain, I have googled it already and am curious if anyone else has been on it or knows someone etc. He told me he wants to keep a close eye on me in case of complications. I say "like what?!" and the only answer I get is "Well some people feel funny on it"

I need details! Feel funny how? The side effects listed are the normal gain/lose weight, itchy/hives tpye of thing.

Anyone?

Dams

• Cellist
    Cellist

The one I'm on is Amitriptyline. For the same reason. Maybe he's worried about the grogginess that can set in when you first start taking it. A kind of mental fog.

I hope it helps you.

Cellist

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I've been on amitriptyline as well. Hated how I felt on it, and couldn't wait to get off of it. I didn't have weight gain, but had terrible nightmares while on it. My uncle was on it for some time and gained about 50 lbs. I didn't find it helped me at all, but I guess everyone is different. I do know that you have to wean yourself off - you can't just stop taking it.

BB

• damselfly
    damselfly

Thanks for the feedback, I am hoping I don't have to many side effects from it, I really don't want to feel awful while taking it either. He doesn't seem to feel that this will be the answer to getting rid of the pain so I don't imagine I will be on it for long.

Thanks again

Dams

• Cellist
    Cellist

For me, the side effects went away after I was on it awhile. I've been using it for quite a few years now. I take it at night so that the pain doesn't keep me from sleeping. I still have pain, just not as bad. And it doesn't make any difference in the daytime now. Except that I'm more rested and better able to cope.

Cellist

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

You should have gotten a sheet explaining the side effects..you can go to Web Dr. com and look it up.

They wanted me to go on amtriptyline as well. I was having neck spasms...

The warning label said it could cause seizures!..I decided I could handle it without the meds..

Snoozy Q..

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Raising my hand -- Me too

I've done a lot of research on this; This drug has an effect on neuropathy pain (nerve pain). It helps the body relax so sleep is improved. And if you are sleeping well your ability to handle the chronic pain improves. Ideally your doctor would start you on a lower dosage and increase slowly until the optimum benefit is attained. This is one of the first medication recommended for chronic pain.

I was started on it about 2 1/2 years ago at 10mg per day. It helped a bit for the chronic pain but slowly we have had to increase it. Over the last 16 months my dose has been increased to 100 MG per day. I just finished a couple of months on at 150mg but I started having other problems what outweighed the reduction in pain. So I am back to 100mg

Also don't be surprised if you are put on acetaminophen. it seems to boost the effect of the amitriptyline.

Part of my problem has been that they don't know what is causing the pain - been through just about every test they can think of and they still can't find anything wrong. I was put on anti-inflammatories to deal with the swelling but over time we discovered they had a reverse effect of causing more swelling so I am off those now.

The worst side effect I had was dry mouth - well more like a bad taste in my mouth. That I can deal with if it lessens the pain. I haven't experienced any other side effects until I got to the 150mg dose (the maximum dosage is 250mg/day but then the dosage is split morning and night). On the 150mg dosage I started experiencing severe drowsiness, and urinary retention (feeling like I had to go but hardly anything happening) Getting up 5 times a night to go to the bathroom was defeating the purpose of trying to get a good night's sleep.

The other benefit of using an anti-depressant is that chronic pain gets depressing sometimes. The antidepressant give that a little nudge into the coping better side of life

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

One more thing: despite the fact that I am in a wheelchair and less active than I ever was before I haven't put on any extra weight

• blondie
    blondie

When trying new meds, check www.wedmd.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit