"Legally binding" baptism?

by Riverwatcher 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Riverwatcher
    Riverwatcher

I've done a bit of reading, and now find that I have a question about baptism.

Recently, a poster wrote something about j/w baptism being legally binding. When I read this, I took it in the literal sense; that somehow if one were baptised, and at a later date chose to walk away, or d/a themselves, that the org could somehow "come after" them. My question is...does this ever really happen? And if so, what would they "do" to you? And not only that, but if someone was of the mind that the org was nothing but a load of crap and they wanted out, why in the world would the org even want to hold the at one time j/w to the "contract" of baptism?

Of course, it could be I've misunderstood this whole concept, in which case I'll appreciate being enlightened by those of you in the know.

And, sort of off topic, but I must once again say how much I appreciate this board, although at times I do find myself crying while reading some of the posts. I don't know if I'm just being overly emotional these days or not, but good grief, what some of you have been through just makes my head spin. I get especially sad when I read about shunning and my heart goes out to all of you who have had to endure this.

• acadian
    acadian

No contract is binding when deception is involved.

Acadian

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Good point, Acadian, especially where minors are concerned. I suspect that minors who are baptized and shunned (into adulthood) might have legal recourse, esp. if they could prove the organization into which they are baptized misled them. The blood issue and suffering for refusing blood transfusions, based upon believing what the society told one about that would be a good place to start.

Proving the disfellowshipping and that one was misled is quite another thing, and dealing with a supposedly religious organization makes that task all the more daunting; however, I think it really is quite a stretch to call baptism "legally binding." It is religiously binding, but I doubt that the JWs would or could have much true legal recourse to "go after" anyone (even an adult) baptized into "the truth." After all, there really is no written contract; however, I do remember signing something when I was 13 that said I understood and agreed to all their silly nonsense. Very silly, if you ask me - all of it. I think the JWs walk on very thin ice in the case of shunning teens and adults who were baptized as children (like myself).

I think if someone were to really "go after" them with some sort of a class action suit that could prove to be a real mess for the WBTS, esp. if all those who have essentially lost family ties because of d'f'ing were to sign up. It would be all very difficult to prove and document, not to mention, extremely expensive. But if anyone wants to start such a suit, I'll sign on.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Recently, a poster wrote something about j/w baptism being legally binding. When I read this, I took it in the literal sense; that somehow if one were baptised, and at a later date chose to walk away, or d/a themselves, that the org could somehow "come after" them. My question is...does this ever really happen? And if so, what would they "do" to you? And not only that, but if someone was of the mind that the org was nothing but a load of crap and they wanted out, why in the world would the org even want to hold the at one time j/w to the "contract" of baptism?

Not sure if you are referring to a post I made or not so I will try to comment on this

I think the issue here (if you are referring to my post) is that there are two "legal" systems we are talking about. State/provincial and country legal systems are one thing. But the WTS has its own legal or legalistic system (which they seem to think is above the laws of the land.

The WTS considers the oath people make upon baptism is legally binding to God (question 1) and the WTS (question 2). Recently we have had several persons who have walked away from the WTS (not DFed or DAed) post that the elders have contacted them to find out of they still consider them to be JWs. They have also questioned whether the person participates in any behavior or belief that the WTS would condemn. The is no graceful way out of the WTS especially if you continue to live in the area where the JWs know you.

It's ultimately about control. Control of people and of the information they have and could potentially spread to active JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit