What is life? Why does it reproduce?

by bboyneko 2 4 Replies latest jw friends

• bboyneko 2
    bboyneko 2

I always wondered why life needs to reproduce at all costs. Even viruses reproduce by invading cells. I think I've stated this before, but fire is almost life isn't it? It grows, eats, breaths, reproduces.

Here is a definition of life I think is kind of arrogant and I diasgree with:

Life Is Cells
    People like to say, as if it were obvious, that life is hard to define. This is simply not so. Life has properties that clearly distinguish it from everything else. Every living thing is cellular. In other words, it is either a single-celled creature or a creature composed of biological cells. Every cell is bounded by its own outer membrane and contains a full set of instructions necessary for its operation and reproduction. Furthermore, every cell uses the same operating system: "DNA makes RNA makes protein." DNA is a long complex molecule that contains the cell's instructions. It is transcribed into RNA, another long complex molecule similar to DNA; and then the RNA transcript is translated into protein. There are hundreds of billions of different proteins used by living things (3), but all of them are made from the same twenty amino acids, the "building blocks of life."

It seems to me that all OBSERVABLE life is cellular, and it seems that even cells are composed of smaller 'life' This same definition discounts viruses as life, but I disagree.

Viruses and prions are not alive. Viruses and prions lie on the fringe of life. Viruses contain instructions encoded in DNA or RNA. (Prions don't.) Both are reproduced. Viruses certainly and prions probably can evolve. But neither can reproduce itself; a virus or prion needs the machinery of a living cell to carry out its reproduction. Without a cell, each is merely an inert, complicated particle which does nothing. Do viruses and prions make it hard to define life? No, just as trailers don't make it hard to define motor vehicle traffic. We know what motor vehicle traffic is. And we know what life is.

Remember that metorite found in antartica with possible fossils of bacteria? The work was dismissed because the fossils would indicate bacteria much too small to be life 'as we know it' Remember that song star trekkin'? In it Mr. Spock from star trek says 'It's life jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it Jim'

The problem I guess is that therese seems to be no universally accepted definition of what exactly'life' is. The deeper problem is that life on Earth -- in Spock's words, "Life As We Know It" is the only life we know -- we can't say diddley nothing about what life might be like elsewhere in the Universe. We can't assume that extrateresrtial life is constructed along the same lines as earthly life.

For example, we can't assume that aliens carry their genetic information around as DNA, or perform the kinds of metabolic processes we see in, say, bacteria or peguins.

I disagree with the above definition of life cuz we must avoid pinning life to terrestrial peculiarities, such as the presence of DNA as a genetic material, or even terrestrial life's foundation on the chemistry of carbon in liquid water. I posted earlier about how life can also be silicon-based or nitrogen based. We're carbon based cuz the temperature on earth dosen't boil liquid away. That we are based on carbon explains our need of water and liquids to live.

so like, maybe life redproducing at all costs is how life on earth behaves and not elsewhere? Is reproduction a nessecity of life? In a broader scale, is death nessecary for life? Do living things need to die in order to weed out the weak and leave only the fittest, thereby ensuring long-term survival? If life didn't really ever die, would it be impossible for it to evolve and thereby become something better?
    If death is a constant necesity of life, then is a reproduction a by-product of that reality, since the organism dies, it needs to replenish itself? Is our life and death simply a grander scale of what goes on daily in our bodies as cells reproduce and die?

I've heard that a language can almost be considered alive, or even computer code. Maye we won't get a good idea of what exactly life is until we meet extraterrestials and have something to compare our observed life to.

-Dan the carbon-based bipedal binnocular-visioned ominviorous sentient corporeal lifeform.

• Bgurltryal
    Bgurltryal

(in indian accent) 'i think people just want to save money'

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Dan,

You certainly are on the right track of being flexible in what you consider the definition of "life" to be. I remember the list of standard features that living organisms are supposed to have to be conisidered "alive" but this thinking doesn't do justice to the broader implications of what life is.

Consider the fact that we can deep freeze human or animal cells to the point where there is no biological activity and they are certainly not capable of being called "alive" at this point, but when later thawed out, they demonstrate the normal biological similarities with living systems. Because of complications such as this and much more, we are likely heading towards a much more general definition of what life is based on information theory. Essentially life is a replicative information system that self organizes itself into more complex patterns.

Eventually, with continued technological advances, we humans may choose to encode the information patterns of ourselves (essentially the holistic neural patterns of our encephalon) into a suitable form of media to be represented in whatever type of physical expression we desire. Perhaps we might choose to be androids (vastly enhanced over our present conceptualizations of what they can do) or some type of flesh and blood but essentially at some point life is just mathematics. Right now it is expressed in DNA codes but it could more easily be expressed in Godel numbers.

A Gödel number is a unique number associated to a statement about arithmetic. It is formed as the Product of successive Primes raised to the Power of the number corresponding to the individual symbols that comprise the sentence. For example, the statement that reads ``there Exists an x such that x is the immediate successor of y'' is coded (28)(34)(513)(79)(118)(1313)(175)(197)(2316)(299),
    where the numbers in the set (8, 4, 13, 9, 8, 13, 5, 7, 16, 9) correspond to the symbols that make it up. What this means in more simple terms, is that the whole information content of any human, namely every moment and every memory we have through our entire lifetime can be encoded into a mathematical formula that exists in about 20 characters long. The information can be factored out by dividing prime numbers into the composite total. Regretablly, our computers do not have the capability of doing this effectively now but perhaps in the future we will have quantum computers up to the task. Then you can really say that math comes alive:-)

In the meantime, just live a little <smile>

Skipper

• StifflersErSlayersBrother
    StifflersErSlayersBrother

Hmm, good question. Why does life reproduce.....oh yea i know why. ORGASMS!!!!

• LDH
    LDH

Bgurltryl,

Now I am snorting chewed up funyuns out of my nose. now *THAT* was funny.

Welcome.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit