How Their Stupidity Supported My Faith

by metatron 6 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

A very long time ago, when I was in Bethel, I sat at George Gangas' table for lunch. As usual, he peppered us with questions about

Bible history or prophecy. In this instance, I fired back correct answers off the top of my head - and he seemed a little stunned.

Time and again, I encountered the 'big wigs' at Bethel - like Max Larson or Knorr - and came away feeling that the organization wasn't

run by geniuses, just ordinary men ( and some of them were very ordinary!)

Even before I went to Bethel, I occasionally wondered about the Awake - in that it sometimes seemed to be deficient in its discussion

of science.

I countered these doubts by reasoning that 'not many wise were chosen' and that the success of the organization showed how

Holy Spirit was guiding it, since the leadership didn't seem that bright!

This 'I believe because they're dumb but successful' supported my faith for quite a while.

................but my faith failed once I discovered how effective the organization is at covering up its scandals and gross

errors. This, together with sheer gullibility ( not Holy Spirit ) was the secret of its success.

You may ask, "how effective is the internet?" - and I will reply that it is the single critical factor that will finally defeat the

Watchtower. Even if most Witnesses dutifully avoid it, it will nevertheless bring them down by its exposure of their scandals

and doctrines.

After sustaining my faith - on their stupidity (!) - I am prompted to ask , "What would happen if we levelled the playing field

and forced them to operate with a compromised degree of deception and concealment of their wrongdoing? What would happen

then? Could they get by with their same, traditional level of unintelligence?"

The Internet is providing the answer to those questions.

metatron

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene
    I countered these doubts by reasoning that 'not many wise were chosen' and that the success of the organization showed how Holy Spirit was guiding it, since the leadership didn't seem that bright!

Well said. That was one of the props I tried to use for a while too.

~Merry

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Scriptural support often used:

1 Cor. 1:19,20,25-31

• xjwms
    xjwms

I enjoyed reading that

and I agree.........they are good at covering up the errors of their way.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Too bad the JW's don't read the bible. Maybe they would see the stupidity of the Watchtower.

For to those who are perishing the message of the cross is foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is God’s power.

For it is written:

I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,

and I will set aside the understanding of the experts.

Where is the philosopher? Where is the scholar? Where is the debater of this age? Hasn’t God made the world’s wisdom foolish?

For since, in God’s wisdom, the world did not know God through wisdom, God was pleased to save those who believe through the foolishness of the message preached. For the Jews ask for signs and the Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles. Yet to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is God’s power and God’s wisdom, because God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength.

1 Cor 1:18-25

• metatron
    metatron

The whole 'UN' affair was an example of what I'm talking about.

First, they did something exceptionally stupid ( sign on to allegiance to the UN), then the internet revealed the whole mess.

metatron

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

Ditto the way they treat doctrines differently in different countries (i.e neutrality, blood, etc.). Although Ray Franz open our eyes to a world we would not have known, after he left the secrets have continued to be revealed because people internationally can share their experiences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit