Financial aid/academic withdrawal questions-please help

by Chia 6 Replies latest jw friends

  • Chia

    If anyone knows anything about college stuff, I'd appreciate their help.

    Some people on this forum know about the rocky year I had last year--really, the last 2 years. I've moved countless times in the past 2 years, 5 times in the past 8 months alone. Leaving the religion, having a car accident (serious enough to total my car but not injure me), and countless other incidents have derailed my college education. I left school abruptly and didn't formally withdraw. I also have a student loan that I need to pay. I only attended school for one semester, so it's not that much, but there is that outstanding debt in addition to my wrecked grades because of leaving school so abruptly.

    How can I get my education back on track? I'm in my hometown now and I intend to stay there until I get my footing, and I sincerely want to pursue my education. How do I go about paying my student loan, and handling the bad grades that I have? Is there a way to possibly have an "incomplete" or "withdrawn" mark instead of a failure on my record? Will I be barred from receiving any future financial aid?

  • daniel-p

    I dont have all the answers to your questions, but I do know what you need to do. If you have a Stafford loan, call EdFund and sort it out. THey manage loan transactions for the federal government. Your loan is probably with Sallie Mae, but I would call EdFund first ( - they are very helpful. Second, visit the financial aid office at the college you attended (or call if you are far away) and tell them your situation. They deal with cases like this A LOT. Everyone you talk to will want to see you succeed, they will understand, believe me. And no, it will certainly NOT affect your future loan status if you return to school - EdFund pretty much garauntees you a loan if you meet the criteria - and a minor default I do not think will break that criteria.
    About your grades, I do not think you will be able to get around that... but I could be wrong.

  • Chia

    Thanks so much...I've been so afraid to talk to people about it, I feel like they're going to think, "Boy, there goes another f***up." But it really has been a rough year! I think starting school will be an excellent thing for me.

  • damselfly

    If you were Canadian I could point you in the right direction, sorry!

    Excellent advice fro the previous poster, if you can try and put as much money away until you start again it will help immensly.

    Best of luck and don't give up on getting that education.


  • NYCkid

    Hi Chia,

    Sorry to hear about your personal challenges. You are doing the right thing in wanting to return to school to continue your education. I'm only beginning to l learn about loans since I previously paid my own way at my community college (I transferred to a 4 year last fall and now need loans). However I do know that the first thing you need to do is contact your school and your loan provider. Make an appointment with an academic advisor so you can sit down, explain your situation and to review your current status with your school. They can advise you on school policies regarding withdrawals, incomplete, etc. and direct you how to get back on track academically. Also make an appointment with a financial aid advisor at your school's financial aid office. They can explain what you will need to do in terms of your current loans and how to apply for new ones. You should be able to obtain future loans and other assistance.

    Then you need to contact your loan provider to give them your current address and make payment arrangements if you don't have any already. You shouldn't have to pay back the loans especially if they are the Stafford loans, while you are in school, but since you currently are not enrolled, you may have to begin making payments until you enroll again. You will want to do this to ensure there will not be any problems with your credit for future loans and they will work with you to arrange a reasonable monthly payment.

    Be persistent in contacting your school and make sure you meet with both advisors (try to make the appointments the same day to avoid making unnecessary trips). They are there to help you (that's what they are there for and get paid for).



  • lonelysheep

    Hi Chia,

    You ought to be able to reapply to a school and get a deferrment for your current loan. This way, you can stop the loan payments until you've completed your degree.

    For me, school has been a major struggle due to all the personal crap in my life. I know where you're coming from.

  • Chia

    Thank you both for the advice. I really appreciate it. A deferment would really be nice...that sounds like the way to go. I'd like to start out with community college and then transfer to a 4 year school as well. I think it's cheaper and it would be less pressure for me.

Share this