The day Frank died.

by atypical 5 Replies latest jw friends

• atypical
    atypical

Out of routine in a newlywed life, I received word that a friend had died. He was one of the good ones - the ones that existed in my good old days, the days when I knew the secrets to life. He was a kind man - overlooked for serious privileges because of his accent. A decent, hardworking husband with three boys. I always looked up to him. I saw him sweat visibly on the platform as he struggled with difficult english words and glanced quickly at his wife for approval. I saw his three boys look at him with more than simple love.

The day I went to the funeral, it was packed. I must say that Nellie's post brought this back to me. It was at my old hall, the one I grew up in. It was standing room only out to the parking lot. I led my wife to a tiny standing spot in the back room. I saw an elder from my childhood days who had become a circuit overseer. He was surrounded by fans.

During the closing prayer, I started to cry. I wept quietly, but people still noticed. I tried to dry my face during "amen". I got a few comments about how I must have known him better than most.

Every time I want to go public with my feelings, I think of his sons and it throws me into a confusion.

• wednesday
    wednesday

There are so few "Franks" around, I'm glad your life was blessed by knowing one. I know it is corny, and comes from the Bible, but the bible calls them "gifts in men". But they can be found in other religions than jws. They don't own the market. There are good, God feariing, family loving, wise men in all religions, and some who are not in any religion at all.

weds

• atypical
    atypical

You're right, Wednesday, and I totally agree. Why can't we just appreciate great individuals? I mourned the fact that so little time was spent on this man's life, and so much time was spent on the jw shpeel.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Consider yourself blessed to have been in the company of great ones like him. Though others may not have known the tower of a person you came to know him to be, the greatest people are often those who put not themselves in the forefront or the limelight, but stay hidden and treasured like that Classic Mustang someones got sheltered off in the garage, only taking out on special occasions.

• Narkissos
  • jojochan
    jojochan
    the greatest people are often those who put not themselves in the forefront or the limelight, but stay hidden and treasured like that Classic Mustang someones got sheltered off in the garage, only taking out on special occasions.

I like that. That was deep, and very true to life.

my condolences atypical.

jojochan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit