Another wine from the Apostates' Restaurant

by ozziepost 5 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Last night Mrs Ozzie and I were enjoying yet another delectable feast at the Apostates' Restaurant, just down the road from Australia Bethel, and needed a top wine to complement it.

So what did we order from their cellar?

We thought a change was in order from the familiar Devil's Lair Shiraz (an appropriate label for the Apostates' Restaurant don't you think?) so we selected this one from that great guy Brian McGuigan:

It's the Black label Shiraz - I think we have told you about this one before, but it's certainly worth the $20 it cost.

Here's Ben's notes:

Region:South Australia
    Vintage:2001
    Tasting Notes
    Colour:Dark purple red
    Nose:Some regional definition along with intense black currant, cassis chocolate aromas. Toasty charred American oak is also apparent.
    Palate:A full bodied wine with soft fine grained tannins, rich palate and good persistence. Strong Shiraz fruit flavours of pepper, spice and cherry are complimented by a subtle underlay of coconut / vanillin American oak. Excellent balance.
    General:The 2001 season was reasonably benevolent in South Australia with fruit having good varietal definition and excellent tannin / colour development. The fruit used in this blend is mainly from the Barossa floor with a small portion being from Bordertown. The wine in this blend was matured in both 1 and two year old American oak for 18 months giving a subtle oak undercurrent and soft tannin structure.
    Technical Data
    pH:3.55
    TA:6.2 g/l
    VA:0.73g/l
    S02:22/42ppm
    Alc:14.1%

Mrs Ozzie loved it! So if you're planning on attending our get-together at the Apostates' Restaurant next Sunday, you may lioke to consider this one. Of course, the specialty is still the Devil's Lair Shiraz!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Mary
    Mary

Ozzie, yer gonna burn baby!!

I Loooooove Australian Shiraz wine especially the Wolf Blass Brown or Grey Label..........I'd love to try the Black Label, but I can't find any around. Apparently, it's quite pricey...............

• Miss_MG
    Miss_MG

I have tried that one Ozzie verrrry nice

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I will try and get a bottle on line from my wine club

• jonsey
    jonsey

speaking about sprits...I was invited to the Johnnie Walkers Journey in Atlanta...All I have to say is that the Blue Label is SSMMOOOOTTHH!

MJ

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Ozzie I anoint thee an honarary South Australian for services rendered (title only - no money or other embellishments will be forthcomming from the SA government or the residents of that fair and free state).

Ozzie

Colour:Pink

Nose:Some regional definition along with intense black under currant, intermitant chocolate aromas. Toasty charmed English oak is also apparent.
    Palate:A full bodied man with soft fine grained tannins, rich palate and good persistence. Strong fruit flavours of pepper, spice and cherry are complimented by a subtle underlay of coconut mellowed in the Australian bush. Excellent balance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit