why does the bible live while most other myths have died?

by zen nudist 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

apart from what believers claims....

I think the main reason is not because of what they bible teaches, but rather what it leaves out.

the other myths of mankind over explain everything to the point of absurdity in later generations....

but the bible is more like the old bugs bunny cartoons.... they were not made for idiots or children but for adults

and as you grow older you see more and more things you had no clue about as a child....

the bible also has a lot of oddities tossed into the mix that let the mind run wild.... like where did Cain get his wife?

what was Jesus doing from age 12 to 30?

The trinity is popular because the bible never actually spells it out and and gives enough odd sayings and near contradiction to allow

people to read it backwards into the text....leading to debates which began from nearly the beginning of christianity.

• integ
    integ

I think the Old Testament is just a collection of Jewish folklore, or at it's best validity, a historical "record", but I think there is a lot of good that comes from the NEW Testament (Greek Scriptures).

I believe that Jesus DID exist, as well as the apostles, but even if you disagree with that, the witnesses believe that Jesus existed, but they have defamed, and belittled and twisted His message. Witnesses say Jesus' main focus was to preach the "good news", when in reality it was all about love and forgiveness.

It's one thing to lie about stuff that doesn't involve God, but the witnesses deliberately, and knowingly, defame Him, and lie about Him to promote their own devious agendas. You can debate whether there IS a God or whatever, but IF there is, the witnesses who are running this evil scam are in deep shit!

And the witnesses can't have the "truth". Any religions that have restrooms that smell like that have to be from the devil. Just walk by the womens' rest room during the afternoon session at a district assembly. Only Satan himself could spawn such a horrendous stench.

-Integ.

• joelbear
    joelbear

well, the bible got support from some pretty vicious people early on. it gets lots of advertising too.

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Zen,
    Your question itself 'begs the question'. You assume that you are correct about the Bible being a myth and cannot prove that it is a myth.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Zen,
    Is a myth by definition false?
    Rex

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I think the first thing which makes a myth live is the persistence of a related ritual within a community of believers: before Gutenberg the Bible only lived through synagogue and church liturgy.

And that probably owes more to political history than to literary qualities.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

is a myth by definition false? no.... myths are stories that seek to explain real experiences... science to me is mostly mythological

as I dont know anyone who can transcend their own perceptions of things to see reality as it is.

Heisenberg also proved that the ultimate nature of reality, assuming that is what any of our tools are even seeking to measure, cannot be know because the very act of measuring alters what one is attempting to measure which leads to a very fuzzy picture of reality at its core and all sorts of odd interpretations like the many worlds theory etc.

from my perspective there are only expeirences and beliefs about them [a different order of experience]... those who pretend to KNOW anything more than that have never demonstrated any ability to do so to my satisifaction, what about you?

• kid-A
    kid-A

I believe it is not the individual collections of myths in the bible that have survived. The number of people who actually take most of these myths as "literal" or historically factual are limited to a handful of fundamentalists and fanatics. Even the Catholic church has admitted to the scientific reality of evolution for example.

The bible survives first and foremost for its political power. The bible contains enough ambiguity (both the old and new testament) such that anybody can interpret its words to support their own agendas, political, social, or otherwise. Hence the reason there are so many branches and sects of christianity. Its message can mean ANYTHING to ANYBODY with a big enough loudspeaker and suggestive audience.

Also, to keep things in perspective, the majority of worlds population do not subscribe to the "bible" but use the Koran, the Hindu scriptures, buddhist scriptures, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit