Speaking of music.........

by beksbks 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• beksbks
    beksbks

Any of you have suggestions for me? I am not sure what genre this would be considered, or quite how to look for more. Some French jazz or blues of the 40s and 50s I suppose, not sure about the time period there. Louis Armstrong stuff like "St James Infirmary" and Cab Calloways "Minnie the Moocher". That kind of smoke filled room stuff. Ack! Am I managing to put my feelings into words here?

• serendipity
    serendipity

bttt

Have you tried looking this up on Amazon? If they have this, they also usually indicate what other customers also purchased. Maybe you can find the genre that way.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Thank you Serendipity! I have been trying to do that, but ummmm I end up spending quite a bit....................

So, how about this. I am sick of current mainstream music. All genres. I mean I listen to it, but I just don't think we are in a good place musically right now. Anyone have any suggestions for good music? Any era, any genre?

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Try some down tempo/trip hop/chillout

Portishead, Cafe Del Mar compilations, Buddha Bar compilations, or one of my favs: Hed Kandi - Served Chilled

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I just don't think we are in a good place musically right now.

IMO 2005 was a pretty good year - Kings of Leon, My Morning Jacket, and Modest Mouse released some great music.

I have recently fallen in love with Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It's been out a little while now, since 2003, but I've only recently discovered them, and I regret not having gotten into them sooner.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Modest Mouse and Wilco=yay!!! Portishead=+yay!! (I love that chicks voice) The others I will have to explore. Thanks guys.

• chrissy
    chrissy

:I have recently fallen in love with Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot... I've only recently discovered them, and I regret not having gotten into them sooner.:

...thats cool, you jumped on board just in time for their live in chicago double disc set: Kicking Television.

hi beksbks,

if you like female with acoustic guitar in hand, here are two albums currently in heavy rotation for me right now:

-Jenny Lewis (of the band Rilo Kiley) and the Watson Twins, and the album "Rabbit Fur Coat"

-Cat Power, "The Greatest" (she croons with that sort of amazing voice you would definitely hear in a smoke filled room)

and if you are in the mood for dudes with guitars try,

-Ray Lamontagne, "Trouble" (before heading off to his job in a shoe factory, this guy woke up one morning to the radio playing Stephen Stills' "Tree Top Flyer" and knew he could never return to his old job again)

-Mark Kozelek (of the band Sun Kil Moon) "Tiny Cities," which is an entire album of modest mouse covers in the smoothest sexiest voice ever. ;) or try, "Ghosts of the Great Highway."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit