Islam and the bible

by troucul 2 Replies latest jw friends

• troucul
    troucul

A question for muslims and islamic apologists:

If muslims believe that jewish and christian prophets were legitimate (although minor in comparison to Mohamed) then what do muslims say in response to Revelation 22: 19?

"Anyone adding or taking away...will suffer plagues..."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Well, I'm neither a Muslim nor an Islamic apologist, but...

Islam does believe in Jewish prophets down to Jesus, but it also holds (not without some reason) that the extant Jewish and Christian Bibles have been tampered with (of course most Muslims wouldn't admit that this is true of the Quran too).

From an exegetical perspective, the conclusion of Revelation (a pretty common curse formula to dissuade additions) is only worth for "the book," i.e. Revelation, not the whole canon it happened to become the last book of in the 4th century. Several NT books are possibly later than Revelation btw.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Its also interesting how the antipathy to the christian orthodoxy of that time may have influenced the Quran's choice of christian traditions to incorporate into its version of history. i.e."heretical" ones. Like Mary being fed by an angel as a little child (from the protovangelium of James, IIRC). Or that Jesus wasn't actually the one who was crucified. The Quran says it was Judas, while a gnostic tradition was that it was Joseph of Arimathea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit