Beware of stumbling... whom?

by Narkissos 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The stern Gospel warning against "stumbling little ones" (better drown oneself than that) has impressed Christian imagination. Among JWs and in most churches it is commonly interpreted as an admonition to restrict one's freedom not to stumble the "weaker" ones, i.e. the most scrupulous, conservative, bigoted insiders. This comes from mixing the Gospel saying with a totally different Pauline issue, which equally uses the notion of "stumbling" (Romans 14:13ff). And, in turn, this practically results in letting the most scrupulous, conservative, bigoted insiders make the rules. Those are the ones "not to be stumbled". If the resulting image of the church "stumbles" outsiders, no one really cares.

Now what was the Gospel saying really about? Read it in context:

Then they came to Capernaum; and when he was in the house he asked them, "What were you arguing about on the way?" But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another who was the greatest. He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, "Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all." Then he took a little child and put it among them; and taking it in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me."
    John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us." But Jesus said, "Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. Whoever is not against us is for us. For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward.
    "If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were hung around your neck and you were thrown into the sea.
    If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life maimed than to have two hands and to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame than to have two feet and to be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to stumble, tear it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and to be thrown into hell, where their worm never dies, and the fire is never quenched.

Bingo. From the immediate context the "little ones" not to be stumbled were those who didn't belong to the inner circle of the disciples: children; independent people such as the freelance exorcist; sympathisers who would be content to be friendly and hospitable to the disciples. Those were the ones who were in risk of being stumbled from their autonomous relationship with God/Christ by the self-righteous, self-important, exclusivistic behaviour of the close guard disciples.

Basically this outlines the difference between an open religion which would consider itself servant of a higher mystery to which anyone may be actually connected, not necessarily through it; and a self-enclosed religion which equates itself to the mystery (no salvation apart from it). The former would show regard for the outsiders' faith, even if those are never to become insiders; the latter couldn't care less about that.

What do you think?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I had to read that three times and look up the corresponding verses. I see what you mean now.

You've awakened a vivid memory, when I took an American Sign Language class. There were a couple ladies there, Evangelicals, come to learn how they could Minister to the Deaf. I was quieter about my beliefs, I just watched. And what I saw was a huge embarrassment to my faith. The class I took is world-renowned for it's quality, and the teacher was deaf. From the first day we were literally immersed in to the visual world of the deaf, and we quickly learned the etiquette of this very different culture. Don't talk behind people's back. If you are late, apologize and tell the group all about the events of your delay. Stomping should only be done to urgently get attention, otherwise it is rude. These ladies broke every rule.

When the teacher asked about our halloween experience, these ladies went on and on about how pagan and evil it was.

They didn't study.

They waved their arms rudely behind her back.

They didn't study.

They earned the contempt of the entire class.

And on the day of the test claimed they were being persecuted for their faith. For failing.

These women genuinely believed they were giving a "testimony" to their "faith", blissfully unaware that twentysomething students were permanently turned off Evangelical Christianity by their example. There's no replacement for common courtesy. If a Christian doesn't have that, the rest of their message is lost.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    When the teacher asked about our halloween experience, these ladies went on and on about how pagan and evil it was.

They didn't study.

They waved their arms rudely behind her back.

They didn't study.

They earned the contempt of the entire class.

And on the day of the test claimed they were being persecuted for their faith. For failing.

These women genuinely believed they were giving a "testimony" to their "faith", blissfully unaware that twentysomething students were permanently turned off Evangelical Christianity by their example. There's no replacement for common courtesy. If a Christian doesn't have that, the rest of their message is lost.

Wow, I had two guys just like that in my Technology related classes in college.

They had the same effect on the class.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I had to read that three times and look up the corresponding verses

Now you got me worried.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Could the little ones be those who were at the bottom of the Christian hierarchy or society and one could be tempted to view them as insignificant? They were little in terms of socio-religious status.

• Shakita
    Shakita
    Bingo. From the immediate context the "little ones" not to be stumbled were those who didn't belong to the inner circle of the disciples: children; independent people such as the freelance exorcist; sympathisers who would be content to be friendly and hospitable to the disciples. Those were the ones who were in risk of being stumbled from their autonomous relationship with God/Christ by the self-righteous, self-important, exclusivistic behaviour of the close guard disciples.

Hey Narkissos,

I agree with your assessment. While we were with the JW's we were taught that being part of the group equaled salvation. We had to become a baptized JW to have the hope that we "might" be saved at Amageddon. We had to be part of the "inner circle" to have any hope of survival. However, Jesus's words show that one did not have to be part of the inner circle to gain God's approval.

Jesus was warning those persons that felt they they were part of the inner circle not to "stumble these little ones." Those persons that were not part of the group but still practiced the things that Jesus's disciples practiced, could be stumbled if those that were part of the inner circle insisted that to gain salvation they would have to join the group. In this case, it was a person expelling demons in Jesus's name yet he was not part of the group.

A persons approval was not and has never been, based upon that person being part of the group to gain salvation. Various denominations, religions, cults, sects, individuals, etc. have used that group ethic to enforce their belief that clinging to the group, merits approval and salvation. Thus, those of us that bought into the JW belief system were convinced that adhering to the group would assure our salvation. That is why, for many of us, it was such a struggle to let go of the group control that the WT had over us. It is a very effective way to keep JW adherents in line.

Our relationship with God and Christ is a very personal relationship that can't be wrested away by organized religion. Although, organized religion has done that very thing in many instances because they have insisted that the laity must obey the clergy so as to have a continued approved relationship with God. That is exactly what the WTS has done towards its adherents. They have stumbled millions of these "little ones" because they insist on being the mediator between God and humans. Instead of recognizing that we are all autonomous beings that have the right to approach our creator in freedom, the WTS and many denominations have robbed many of the right to do just that. Thus, in my view, Jesus's words are that it would be finer for them to put a millstone around their necks and be tossed into the open sea.

Mr. Shakita

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thank you all, especially Mr. Shakita for putting it clearer.

About the different Pauline advice not to stumble the weaker = more scrupulous insiders, it often practically runs against the Gospel advice not to stumble outsiders.

A good example imo is the official Catholic church's stance on sexual issues. The obvious pastoral concern is not to shock the most conservative supporters. The feelings of believing homosexuals, divorced, single parents, priest's unofficial wives, AIDS potential victims, women in emergency situations (re: abortion), etc. is obviously counted, at best, as secondary to that.

The question being, whom do you choose to stumble when not stumbling anybody is not an option? The "little ones" of the Gospels or the "weak ones" of Paul? The outsiders or the insiders?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit