Post #100

by cyd0099 6 Replies latest jw friends

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Took long enough, don't you think?

I've always had a difficult time telling people I was a dub, even back in the day. It always turned out the anxiety was completely on my side, my friends never thought it was a big deal. But;

I've been dating this woman for just about five months now. I still haven't told her about my involvement with the bOrg. It's easy to skirt the issue and I present myself as I am now, agnostic because I have no momentos or noticable baggage from the past.

I think I should spill the beans, but I'm not sure as to how or when.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    I've always had a difficult time telling people I was a dub, even back in the day. It always turned out the anxiety was completely on my side, my friends never thought it was a big deal. But;

same as me. In my faithfull dub days nobody at work knew I was one :)

Well, I think (and this is just my opinion, do not know much about the situation) that you should tell it indeed, but not as something very seriously. Not like "we need to talk...." . Just mention it when there is a opportunity, like talking about family or so. Do not make a big deal out of i. Danny

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I don't want to make a big deal out of it, for sure. I've just been having these moments where your mouth is open, but your brain realized speaking is a bad idea at the moment.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't think your girlfriend will really care about your JW past if you go ahead and tell her about it. In fact it may be fun if you talk about the experiences you and others had there making yourself a hero in that you fought them succesfully and got out of the destructive cult.

• Golf
    Golf

No need to explain unless your conscious says, OK, spill the beans. I never have nor will I ever. If the subject surfaces and asked a direct answer, I will answer, till then, I will keep silent. Besides to me it's not a big deal, what's the secret? I'm always willing to compare and exchange skeletons in closets but most are not.

Don't lose sleep over it.

Golf

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I think I should spill the beans, but I'm not sure as to how or when.

if she cares about getting to know the real you, then she would be very interested to know this part of your past. but i agree, you certainly don't have to make it a big deal. just imagine that your parents were foot fetishists and dragged you along to their foot fetish support group as a kid. it sucked as a kid, but you laugh about it now because it is just such an odd thing to expose a child to (any religion is an odd thing to expose a child to). and tell her in a way that gets that point across: that it was your childhood, and it was weird, but whatever lol, it's over and gone now. crazy foot fetishists.

TS

• Clam
    Clam
    It always turned out the anxiety was completely on my side, my friends never thought it was a big deal.

I'm sure your girlfriend will be the same. Why should it be such a big deal? I agree that she'll probably be intrigued and it'll give you something to talk about. It will also help her understand you more. Strangely I don't have a problem talking about my own JW past but am embarrassed to admit that I have relatives who are JWs.To me they're the black sheep of the family, LOL..

Anyway talk to her about it and tell her how you were strong minded enough to get away from a religious cult. You're a hero!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit