A visit

by A Paduan 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Couple of jws (guys) came to the door today, started saying "we believe the world is ending and changing soon" - and then plainly stated - "this brochure here explains how it is going to happen".

{I thought, "No, this is what you think will happen, but you just can't stop yourself from getting to the next step anyway - just can't speak properly without fitting some kind of lie into it"}

Anyway, I rejected them outright, in as few words as came to mind (six, I think).

I asked my wife later, "Should I have tried to help those people realise themselves in some kind of way?" But I remained indignant, and thought, "Those jws belong where they are - it's an appropriate thing"

Maybe it's because of the stories I read here, that have validated my own outrage.

What do you think?

• Satanus
    Satanus

You did the right thing. Generally, talking to them is a waste of energy.

S

• greendawn
    greendawn

If you had some good background info that could plant some doubt in their minds about the erroneousness of the end of times ideology it would be good to do that.

They've been talking about the end of times since 1880, for over a century, and they always failed. They are totally unreliable and untrustworthy in predicting the end. But they go on using the "end" card because it proved very profitable for them. Needless to say they never apologised to those that they misguided in the past.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Probably the thought did not occur to you in time but the perfect question (IMO) was "is that the truth or simply someone's opinion". That is a thought starter.

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

I always try to be nice & not raise a suspicion of "apostasy". I try to plant a little seed because I still believe "Do unto others as you would have them do to you." I wish someone who had really known the in's & out's, had clued me in at a door.I don't know if I would have responded, but I would have thought about it.All I ever got was people who didn't know the Bible themselves, or rude people, who just fed into the society's teaching that everyone outside was ignorant.

• BETRUE
    BETRUE

WHAT IS IT THAT YOUR UPSET ABOUT??

• mark hughes
    mark hughes

"WHAT IS IT YOUR UPSET ABOUT??"

Eh? Who said they are upset befree?

• mark hughes
    mark hughes

Sorry I mean "betrue"

• bebu
    bebu

Here's a possible thing that could work.

First, let them know that no one ever really answers your questions with anything solid.

Then, when they volunteer to really help you out, write a few words on a piece of paper and ask them to google them and get back to you later. "watchtower, UN scandal" "rand cam" "jehovah's witness, 1954, Scotland", "jehovahs witness mediator 144000". Maybe even "607 jehovahs witness" as well.

You can save your breath, and you give them a fighting chance, if they'll take it.

bebu

• Calliope
    Calliope

now that i know the flaws and lies of the org, i would love to slip something in to make them think. not sure what though... maybe something along the lines of "you may want to do some secular research into the dates that lead to 1914... you may realize that your 'end of the world" timing is a lil' off". Cal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit