Need Advice Regarding Maryland Pedophile Ex-Elder

by Saoirse 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

I heard some disturbing news and I'm not sure what to do about it.

There was man who was an elder in the Pasadena, Maryland congregation for many years. I'll call him "Randy Pervamini". There were always whispers going around about him that he was secretly gay. He was rather effeminate yet, he was a hardcore, super-dub, fascist elder at the same time. I was in a neighboring hall so my association with him was minimal but I was around him enough to know that he was a jerk.

A while ago, one of my in-laws told me that they were camping with a friend of theirs, "Bob", that grew up in that congregation. They were all sitting around and telling stories when Bob broke down, started crying and confessed that Bro. Pervamini had sexually abused him while he was a child and that Pervamini's wife knew about it and did NOTHING.

My husband knew Bob and told me that Bob and his brother both had severe drinking problems. I have heard that the whole family seems to have a lot of problems. We wondered if this was because of the sexual abuse. I am furious that this man's life may have been ruined because of what this elder did.

A few months ago, I heard that Bro. Pervamini was put on public reproof and removed as an elder. It was rumored that Pervamini had molested a child. It has been about 20 years since the incident with Bob took place. I wonder if there was another victim?

I've done some research and it doesn't look like the police were ever notified. This man still attends the meetings so I assume that he goes out in field service. This is putting a countless number of innocent children in harm's way!!!

I am furious that this man just seems to have gotten off with a slap on the wrist. He should be disfellowshipped and thrown in a jail cell.

So the question is, what should I do? I didn't personally hear Bob confess, I don't really know Bob and I don't want to drag a 30-something year old man through a sex abuse trial. I have moved away and don't really have any contact with JWs in the area anymore. I have also been branded an apostate so I doubt anyone would listen to me if I did say something. The in-law that relayed the story is a JW and is now shunning me.

I thought about sending out anonymous letters to all of Pervamini's neighbors, urging them to request that they not be visited by JWs. I thought the public pressure might force the local elders to take stronger action. Could I get in any legal trouble for warning Pervamini's neighbors about him? If I report to the police would they be able to do anything? It has been over 20 years.

This has been bothering me for a long time, I want to do something but I'm not sure what to do.

• slugga
    slugga

Silent lambs website has a "pin point a paedophile" page

http://www.silentlambs.org/personal_experiences/pinpoint.cfm

Take a look at that and fill it out if you feel it will help.

Matt

• carla
    carla

What if you sent a letter to neighbors anonymously, suggesting that there have been accusations? Not implying definate one way or another. Send also the Silentlambs brochure and anything else that shows the 'two witness' policy within the org. Just remember when talking to nonjw educated people to put in normal easy to understand language. And don't put a return address on the envelope. Just a thought. That way you will protect yourself from legal action and feel like you at least warned the community he lives in. People can take it for what it is worth and protect their children accordingly. With public pressure maybe the pedophile will break down and confess?--yeah, I know, doubtful, but we can hope can't we?

• sinis
    sinis

I would find out more about his recent removal. If it looks like he did then I would notify the local PD. At the very least they will send someone over to ask questions. I would have someone talk to Bob and get him to file a complaint against the elder, and involve law enforcement. Better to be safe and sorry than to have a possible pedo harm innocent children.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Why not go down to the Police Station or Sheriffs Office and talk to them. Tell them exactly what you outlined in your post including that if your suspicions are true this man may be guilty of many other similar crimes. If “Randy’s” crime was related to child molestation and it was reported to the police then the issue stops right there, otherwise the police might be inclined to do some investigation. That is my advice.

• sinis
    sinis

Why not go down to the Police Station or Sheriffs Office and talk to them. Tell them exactly what you outlined in your post including that if your suspicions are true this man may be guilty of many other similar crimes. If “Randy’s” crime was related to child molestation and it was reported to the police then the issue stops right there, otherwise the police might be inclined to do some investigation. That is my advice.

I agree. In this life there are two people - those who do and those who do not. Sometimes to do nothing brings more pain and mental distress in the future, especially if you learn later on that your hunch was right and the person harmed another child. Sometimes it can be hard decision.

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

As well, send me what you know.

My 'Misc. JW Perp file' presently has over 4000 sexual predators listed; if he's there, i can help local prosecutors gain access to information which will encourage prosecution.

If you prefer, i will not use/reveal your name.

Kimberlee D. Norris

[email protected]

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    Silent lambs website has a "pin point a paedophile" page

I just pinpointed him on the Silent Lambs website - Thanks slugga

Kimberlee, I'll be sending you an email. Thanks, for letting me know that you had a file.

I'll go ahead and telephone the police too. I figure it can't hurt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit