computer video card question

by doogie 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• doogie
    doogie

ok, i'm looking for a computer geek (c'mon...i know at least a couple of you are...)

i'm trying to upgrade my video card but i'm kind of limited (i only have PCI slots). my questions is, the video card i'm looking at has a 64 bit memory interface (whatever that is) and my computer's manual says something about having a 32 bit interface. will this card work with my computer? everything else looks good, this is just the one thing i'm not sure of.

thanks!

• slugga
    slugga

yes it will work it just means it wont run at its optimal 64bit speed.

• doogie
    doogie

perfect. thanks!

• slugga
    slugga

That must be an old motherboard if it only has pci slots though...

• doogie
    doogie

it's just over a year old (i know, i know...that's an eternity in computer time.), plus it was budget at the time. i'm trying to squeeze another year out of it. i don't know though... dell didn't give me much to work with here.

at least PCI video cards are unbelievably cheap.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

You should really upgrade your motherboard. Kind of a waste to have a sweet vid card that get's bottlenecked by a shitty motherboard. I feel your pain though.. just dropped five hundred bucks upgrading my rig.

GBL

• doogie
    doogie

trust me, this new video card is anything but sweet. it's a geforce 6200 turbo cache with only 32mb on board (heck, it was only $50 from newegg.com). considering i've been using a 2 year old integrated card up to this point, this new card will probably blow me away.

one more year, then i think i'll be able to rationalize buying a completely new setup. (i'm finally getting the internet at home and we'll see how hooked i get playing games online...i might be upgrading sooner than i think )

editted to add: wow, i was way off...the new card actually has 128mb on board. in any case, from what i can tell, most new games are barely (and i mean BARELY) playable with this thing. so no big loss when i upgrade again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit