Horizon - A War On Science

by City Fan 5 Replies latest jw friends

• City Fan
    City Fan

For anyone who's interested, BBC documentary series Horizon is showing a program called 'A War On Science' this Thursday 26 Jan 9pm on BBC2.

Should be interesting!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

cool. thanks for that.

• City Fan
    City Fan

btt...

For those interested in watching this on BBC2 tomorrow night.

HorizonThu 26 Jan, 9:00 pm - 9:50 pm 50mins
    alt

A War on Science

Horizon tells the story of how one of science's greatest theories is facing one of its greatest threats. The theory of evolution is under attack from a controversial new idea called intelligent design, an idea that claims to give an alternative explanation for the origin of life on earth. This new movement claims to be scientific but to many it threatens to replace science with God. Now some of its most high profile critics - Sir David Attenborough and Richard Dawkins amongst them - are speaking out in an attempt to halt the movement's rise and keep religion out of science.

Horizon examines the scientific claims for intelligent design and explores a battle that could shape the future of scientific understanding for years to come. [AD,S]

alt
    Subtitles Stereo Widescreen alt

CF.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I watched this tonight - quite interesting.

The evolutionists (and the courts) showed the intelligent design supporters for what they are - completely unscientific.

I liked the quote that about evolution explains about 99% of what we know about life on earth, whereas intelligent design theory explains precisely zero.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm a believer and have no problem speculating on the possibility of a creator, but not at the expense of good science. I'm not 100% sure that evolution is quite the whole answer as many believe. But it upsets me when folks try to pass I.D. off as scientific.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    This new movement claims to be scientific but to many it threatens to replace science with God.

LMAO... Sheesh, these people are way too jumpy if you ask me... lol

J

• RodentBoy
    RodentBoy

jaffacake wrote:

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm a believer and have no problem speculating on the possibility of a creator, but not at the expense of good science. I'm not 100% sure that evolution is quite the whole answer as many believe. But it upsets me when folks try to pass I.D. off as scientific.

The problem here is that no theory is 100% complete, and it's difficult to imagine any time when they will be. Science isn't really about that, it's about the best explanation that fits the evidence and that allows us to make predictions based upon it. On those grounds, evolution is in fact one of the most successful theories. Other theories have even bigger wholes. Physics has far bigger problems trying to unify General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, or in trying to come up with an adequate explanation of the Standard Model of subatomic particles, and yet you don't hear Creationists running around decrying them (well almost, you'll get them latching on to slow light nonsense if they're YECs trying to explain how we observe galaxies that are billions of light years away).

The fact is that Creationists are offended by the notion that they're related to apes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit