Wow, you gotta read this.

by IP_SEC 3 Replies latest social current

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Well might not interest everyone, but about 2/3s down the discussion of scanning and modeling the human brain reverse engineering it into nonbio counterparts is really amazing.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134.html?printable=1

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Very interesting article... yet, kind of scary to contemplate.

Many observers have nonetheless expressed alarm at the emergence of forms of nonbiological intelligence superior to human intelligence . The potential to augment our own intelligence through intimate connection with other thinking mediums does not necessarily alleviate the concern, as some people have expressed the wish to remain "unenhanced" while at the same time keeping their place at the top of the intellectual food chain.

If true, I'm kind of glad I won't be around to decide whether or not to remain "unenhanced".

• Pole
    Pole

I don't know. The whole theory is based on constructing a metaphor which maps a selection of phenomena on an exponential function. One could easily piece together a theory of logarithmic development , where things develop very quickly at the begining and come to a stanstill with time:

alt

Strong Artificial claims have sparked people's imagination since the 1950s/1960s. Little progress has been made in the area, though. Same with space exploration. Mars should have been taken a long time ago according to the common expectations from the Cold War period.

Pole

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

It is an amazing article indeed.
    But I can't agree with all I read, some conclusions are oversimplified and are based on lots of assumptions.

For example the growth of technology is not easy to measure. Let alone to make a conclusions on it.

There can also be other examples of graphs that will show other things. For example, money it takes to develop new technics for scientific discoveries.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit