2 More Miners Die

by simplesally 3 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

I feel so sorry for these guys. The mining industry is so dangerous and yet so many men in those areas choose to mine for a living because they pay is so great in comparison to other jobs. What I don't understand is why they don't have better safety equipment or life saving packs down in the mines!! Why don't they have cell phones that penetrate or hard wired phone lines that reach that far? I mean it's not like they are blasting tons of earth down there at amazing speeds so the locations of the phones or packs would be far away.

"I mean, they can send a man to the moon but they can't make a (oxygen canister) that will last at least 16 hours," Marcum said. "That's what they need to do."

That was a quote from a news article and I agree with him! I think about those poor Sago miners and how they didn't have enough oxygen and died of carbon monoxide. Years ago there was a group of miners trapped and they had to ration out their lunches.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Why doesn't OSHA get involved and make them provide more safety measures??? I agree that there are a number of ways to improve the chances of staying alive in case of a cave in, but it seems the owners are to greedy to implement them!!! This is getting ridiculous!

Swalker

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think it's a case of the companies not wanting to spend a great deal of money to improve the security of their employees. The love of money is the root of all evil.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Today, on the news, the governor of W. Va announced that he would do everything he could to make mining safer in his state.

I just think it's horrendous they don't have a GPS type system on their hardhats and lifeline backpacks that could keep them alive for at least 24 hours. If they say it impedes work, then they could remove it but keep it near them. One article I read is that the rescue teams are 2 hours away (minimum) but their oxygen is only for an hour!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit