Is John 12:24 inspired of God?

by scout575 7 Replies latest jw friends

• scout575
    scout575

John 12:24 says: "Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and DIE, it abideth alone; but if it DIE, it bringeth forth much fruit." Is this a scientifically accurate statement? Can a DEAD seed germinate and go on to produce fruit?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Take a look through this site about the cycle of wheat:

http://www.wheatbp.net/

Looks like death of the grain is part of the cycle (unless I missed something!)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I'd prefer a god inspiring poetry rather than science textbooks any day, but that's just me...

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    Is this a scientifically accurate statement?

The short answer is no.

The longer answer....with more questions

Since when does an ancient library of histories, laws, proverbs, hymns, stories, dreams, visions, prophecies, letters and allegories ever claim to be scientificly accurate?

Since when does one define inspiration as scientificly accurate?

The point you make would indeed be a challenge to JW beliefs, because they have a superstitious belief about the Bible. But to the silent majotity of Christians, our definition and understanding of the term 'inspired by God' is I suspect very different from the one you imply.

May I respectfully suggest that you are using age-old JW tactics in the way you present such questions. Yes, the straw man argument that JWs have perfected to a fine art during the past 100 years. However, I suppose they can't complain if you use their own flawed tactics right back at them.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It appears reasonable to me the seed must get wasted away in order to boost the growth of the germ into a small plant which can then go on living/growing on its own and ultimately produce a lot more seeds than one, and that's also what the farmers hope for, to stay in business.

• scout575
    scout575

Hi Jaffacake,

You say, 'since when does the Bible ever claim to be scientifically accurate?' The Bible DOES claim to be a book of TRUTH. Notice Proverbs 30:5,6: 'Every word of God is pure...Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.' Jesus says of God: "Thy word is TRUTH." ( John 17:17 )

The above question about seed quotes JESUS' words. Colossians 1:16 says of Jesus: "For by him were all things created." Would it be so unreasonable to expect the 'Creator' of the seed to be scientifically accurate about it?

You say that the Bible contains prophecy. If the Bible is supposedly capable of accurately predicting the future why is expecting scientific accuracy so unreasonable?

You say that my question would be a challenge to JW beliefs but not to the 'silent majority' of Christians. Do the 'silent majority' of Christians use this website?

You say that I'm using 'flawed tactics' in the way I present my questions. I wish that someone had used such 'flawed tactics' on me years ago.

My questions aren't addressed to 'most Christians.' When reading the many deeply flawed aspects of the Bible, 'most Christians' are in the convenient position of being able to dismiss these points as not 'nice' enough to be what God really meant. JWs and born again Christians don't have that luxury. They feel compelled to accept and apply these unpalatable Bible verses and reap the damaging consequences.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm afraid that's a really weak one. You'd do better devoting your time to something meaningful. It's as good as the following exchange:

"Tell me how a table works?"

"Well it's a slab of wood about 4' x 3' and 2" thick, resting on four 2" x 2" legs about 2' 6" long, and can support things on it's upper surface."

"No, tell me how it works!"

"Well, it doesn't so much work as sit there with stuff on it!"

"But surely there must be a deeper truth to it than that!"

"Ok, ok, let me tell you about this giant turtle swimming through the universe and these four elephants..."

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    You say that my question would be a challenge to JW beliefs but not to the 'silent majority' of Christians. Do the 'silent majority' of Christians use this website?

Well, I believe there are far more Christians on this site than faithful JWs.

Perhaps your questions should be posted on the official JW website too....oh if only that were possible.

You quoted Jesus words, yes, and did I read somewhere that he always spoke in parables. Do you really believe the context for his words suggested a scientifically accurate statement?

Your definition of truth as being scientific truth is interesting, but my brain doesn't work that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit