JW Media Press Release Service

by Eyebrow 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I signed up at the JW Media.org site to have press releases emailed to me. I am curious if I will get any that are not favorable...we will see. The one I got today is as follows:

For Immediate Release
    July 21, 2001

Armenian State Security implicated in fabricating evidence in Jehovah's Witness trial

YEREVAN, Armenia—Friday, July 20, was the first day of the trial involving Lyova Margaryan, a Jehovah's Witness who is being charged under a criminal provision that dates back to the era of Khrushchev's antireligion campaign. The accusations against him include "luring young people into attending religious meetings of an unregistered religion" and "influencing members not to serve in the army." If convicted by the Armavir regional court, Margaryan faces up to five years in prison.

Lilia Kazaryan, witness for the prosecution, admitted that an official from the National Security Ministry (former KGB), whom she named as Vahan, dictated part of her written statement, which alleges that "Jehovah's Witnesses are against our government and our religion." She confessed that she did not know any Jehovah's Witnesses personally, and she added, "I heard from state television that they kill themselves."

Aram Shahverdyan, an 18-year-old Witness, related that when he was questioned about refusing military service, he was coerced into writing and signing a statement accusing Lyova Margaryan of advising him not to join the army. He declared: "That statement did not contain my thoughts. I studied the Bible and made my own conscientious decision on this issue."

Four other young people between the ages of 14 and 18 testified that they attend the religious meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses along with their parents. Igor Vlasiuk, 16, stated: "Meetings are a pleasure. I go because I love Jehovah God. I don't want to be in the streets fighting with other boys. At meetings we study the Bible and learn respect for the government and for people of other religions."

Mamvel Simonyan, the judge at the court, adjourned the case until August 2 because five witnesses called by the prosecutor failed to appear for the hearing.

Contact numbers in Armenia: Telephone: + 3741 426868
    English-speaking: Paul Gillies, mobile telephone: + 44 7775 833880

Weird that it was listed for immidiate release on July 21,2001...I am getting it when I just signed up in August?

Anyhoo, I never see the press releases on the site that deal with procedural issues, just persecution against the JWS ans that kind of stuff.

Interesting.....

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I seriously doubt the Watchtower will ever print anything unfavorable to them, unless for appeal. After all, they are God's favored twits!
    I put up things favorable, but the stuff that comes out of JW Media is boring crap for the most part.
    http://www.watchtowernews.org
    Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit