JWs' use of Technology and Penton's "Jehovah's Witnesses in Canada"

by JW_Researcher 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

I've put in an interlibrary loan request for M. James Penton's "Jehovah's Witnesses in Canada: Champions of freedom of speech and worship" which I can't seem to be able to purchase for less than around $200.

I guess it's a strict "supply and demand" reason for the cost.

I'm looking at JWs use of technology, especially the radio. I have the Proclaimers and Divine Purpose books and a scholarly article or two but does anyone know of any studies conducted in this area?

Please and thank you.

• VM44
    VM44

Rutherford was so abusive (probably against the Catholics) during one 1920s radio program that NBC thereafter banned the sale of radio time for ALL religious broadcasts!

I really would like to know what Rutherford said during that broadcast, it must have been good! :)

And The Watchtower says that they were persecuted and driven off the airwaves? I think we have an hint as to why they were.

--VM44

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

These probably aren't anything you don't already have, but they are all I know of myself. Sorry.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/jt/article_02.htm

from http://www.angelfire.com/nj2/piratejim/nycamhistory4.html :

WPOW - 1330 AM, New YorkJehovah's Witnesses was one of the first religious organizations to enter the broadcasting field.
    In 1923, the International Bible Students' Association (as it was then called - the name 'Jehovah's Witnesses' waa adopted in 1931) bought the equipment of radio station WDT (see Page 1) at Stapleton, Staten Island, which the Ship Owners Radio Service was shutting down.
    A year later, on February 24, 1924, Judge Franklin Rutherford, successor to the sect's founder, Charles Taze Russell, dedicated the new station, called WBBR, at Rossville in southwestern Staten Island.
    Facilities and accomodations for the staff were in the 2½ story "Big House" at 111 Woodrow Rd.
    WBBR's programming schedule included programs in several languages, including Yiddish and Arabic.
    Judge Rutherford later expanded the radio operations into ownership of at least 7 stations in the United States and Canada, including outlets in the Chicago, Toronto, and Oakland areas.
    On August 5, 1928, Rutherford broadcast on a chain of 96 stations, the largest radio network organized till that time.
    Later, broadcasts were beamed via shortwave to over 400 stations worldwide, sometimes originating from WBBR's studios.
    In the New York area, the Witnesses also bought time on WBNX (see Page 5), WOV (see above), WGBB, WFAS and WNEW (see Page 3).
    But, Rutherford's attacks on other religions led many stations to drop his programs, sometimes cutting him off before he was finished.
    WBBR started off on a frequency of 1230 AM in 1924, then moved to 1100 later that year.
    In 1925, the station moved to 720 AM, unauthorized.
    In 1927, WBBR moved again to 1170, and in 1928 to 1300 - in both instances, sharing time with other stations.
    In 1931, the main studios were moved from Rossville to the sect's headquarters at 124 Columbia Heights in Brooklyn Heights, which also served as a residence for church workers.
    In 1941, WBBR's license was transferred to the Watchtower Bible And Tract Society, the religion's publishing arm, and in March of that year, WBBR (and its share-time partners) moved to 1330 AM.
    Judge Rutherford died in 1942 and was buried at Rossville in a Methodist cemetary within sight of the WBBR towers.
    A fire at the Rossville transmitter in February 1945 put the station off the air briefly.
    In 1946, WBBR erected a 411-foot, three-tower array at Rossville and two years later, the power was increased to 5000 watts.
    A new structure housed the transmission equipment.
    For all its days on the air, WBBR was powered by its own electrical generator.
    In 1957, choosing to emphasize its publishing activity and stating that WBBR "no longer served the interests of the Kingdom," the Watchtower Bible And Tract Society sold its station to H. Scott Killgore's Tele-Broadcasters Of New York Inc. for $133,000.

An article about WBBR New York by Alice Brannigan-- http://members.aol.com/jeff560/am4.html

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/biola.html (different kind of radio)

~Merry

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    "Judge Rutherford died in 1942 and was buried at Rossville in a Methodist cemetary within sight of the WBBR towers."

Not without good reason would many say that may not be an accurate statement.

There's a casket buried in that cemetery, granted, but it is very likely that Rutherford's body was not in it.

Rutherford died at the WTS mansion called "Beth Sarim" in San Diego California. The WTS had two properties in San Diego, very near each other. The second one was called "Beth Shan." Rutherford wanted to be buried on the WTS property, but the town would not grant permission for his burial on them.

There are those who believe that Nathan Knorr and Fred Franz, who were Rutherford's right-hand men, dug a hole in the dark of night and dumped Joe's body into it before shipping an empty casket back to New York. To this day there are people who say that they know just where Joe is buried on the property, but the current property owner has expressed no interest in having those ghosts exorcised.

If memory serves, only four people attended Rutherford's funeral, and Rutherford's wife and son were nowhere to be found in that great crowd. The cemetery on Staten island still stands today - the Woodrow United Methodist church cemetery - and the Watchtower section of that cemetery - a plot approximately 100 feet by 100 feet square - is unique because it holds not a single headstone, grave marker or memorial to the dead buried there.

• one
    one

Radio is still today the most cost effective (cheapest) method to comunicate (preach?). 'they could even screen and answer question from the public. 'They' can take book orders/donations on the phone (credit card or cod) or send a saleswoman/collector..

But i doubt it will increase.sales/converts

Techonology to 'spread good news'?

that would become, we can say, "Achilles’ heel"

http://www.watchtower.org/ is not even up and running right now.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's one on images. Not exactly what you are looking for. But I love the article.

http://www.unc.edu/~elliott/icon.html

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Thank you very much for the responses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit