Birthday card from my uncle!

by THE SHOOTIST 8 Replies latest jw friends

• THE SHOOTIST
    THE SHOOTIST

This week on Jan.11 I turned the big 55, you know, senior citizen stuff. I'm not real happy about the age but life if good. I been out of the JWs now for 5 years with no contact from witness relatives. I started calling some of my mothers brothers and sisters who are not witnesses. Since I was raised as a witness from infancy, I never was allowed to cultivate a relationship with worldly relatives. I always thought my Uncle Cliff was special. He got me my first knife, my first ball glove, and took me shooting pistols for the first time. However, as I got older and more JW involved, I saw less and less of Uncle Cliff. He was the rounder with the common-law wife who cussed and told a dirty joke from time to time. There was no place in my life as an elder and pioneer for him or any of my worldly relatives. After pulling my head out of my ass, I went in search of lost relatives. I've never been so loved and so readily forgiven by these wonderful people. I needed them to forgive me for not loving them they way I should have. I sent them all Christmas gifts for the first time this past December. I can't tell you in words how much it meant to them and the expressions of endearment I received from them. These are people in their late sixties and early seventys who were shut out of my life for over 40 years. Anyway, on Jan. 11, I received a birthday card from Uncle Cliff. I literally wept profusely at the words on the card (To My Very Special Nephew). You probably think this sounds stupid, but that card was the highlight of my birthday. Uncle Cliff and I talk on the phone every couple of weeks and we laugh a lot. At 74 he still tells a dirty joke once and a while, he don't go to church, he loves his mules and horses and me. I'm so glad I found him. He always was and will be my favorite Uncle.

• funlovingirl
    funlovingirl

I'm so happy for you Shootist!! I, too, had to ask for forgiveness from my two df'd relatives (a brother and a cousin) for not talking to them. They were so kind and saw no need for forgiveness. They have been a TREMEMDOUS support for me while newly 'out'. My cousin got me my first Xmas gifts this past holiday and has invited me over for every holiday this year!

I was thinking the other day that when I talk to him and/or my brother we all naturally say "i love you" to each other and sincerely mean it. All of my witness relatives my whole life never said that to each other. My mother NEVER said I love you to us. Now I feel such a special bond and love with my brother and cousin.

I, too, have worldly relatives I need to look up and get re-aquainted with. Thanks for inspiring me to do it. Your story was so moving, it brought me to tears. I am so happy for you and your uncle! Isn't it amazing that these horrible, 'worldly' people that we were always warned against and kept away from can be so kind, supportive, good, humble, loving, intelligent and wonderful people?!

Cheers to you!!

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Good experience and something that I think many on the board can relate to. One interesting statement you made about the fact that you've never been so 'readily forgiven' as you were by them. "Readily forgiven" is not something in the JW language, so it is a foreign concept to us. Most worldly relatives tolerate the JW beliefs, even though they realize what it can and does cost them in relationships. They are probably just so happy you're out that they can't and won't hold it against you.

• mark hughes
    mark hughes

A wonderful story that I can relate to myself, the only regret I have is that it was a few years after I was d'fd that I decided to look up my non jw family. I had the thoughts in my head wondering if they will want to see me after so many years and besides it was only one auntie I had ever seen before and I could count the amount of times I had seen her on one hand! I plucked up the courage to find her and did. I had never felt so wanted and loved as I did when I spoke to her for the first time and within a couple of weeks I had phone call after phone call from relatives I had never heard of let alone seen! I now see them all as often as I can, I spend xmas every year with a cousin of mine and her family, they always make a big occasion of it. I remember the first year she asked me to stay for xmas, when I awoke on xmas morning there was a filled stocking at the end of my bed! I was 28 but I didn't care!

• tweety
    tweety

Happy Be-lated Birthday!

From what you have said about your Uncle Cliff - he sounds like he is a lot of fun to be around and he loves you!

• Es
    Es

Ohh thats beautiful...i know what you mean i got my first bday card off my nan last year and i was very teary.

es

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Thanks for sharing this TheShootist. To be welcomed back unconditionally to REAL family who love you is quite something. One good thing about being part of the WTBTS is that we learn to recognise and appreciate what real Love is.

I am very pleased for you. Midwich.

• lookingfortruth2
    lookingfortruth2

Congratulations! I know the feeling. I have started to celebrate various holidays and birthdays with my old and very dear friends and relatives too even though I'm still a JW. What I have noticed as everyone has mentioned is the unconditional love which is so heartwarming. It's not the individual r&f that are to blame but the contrived doctrines of the WTBS that are ridiculous, especially when it comes to maintaining our precious family relationships. Unfortunately so many of us were dumb enough to fall for it. It is so embarassing, but clearly it's God's will that they are becoming exposed. The F&DS are false prophets!

Luke 17:23 - And people will say to YOU, ‘See there!’ or, ‘See here!’ Do not go out or chase after [them]. (NWT)

TheWTBS says "See here, Christ's presence in 1914." This is f alse reasoning based on a false calculation!

For those of us still in - soon and very soon...

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

You're one of the "lucky" ones. Nice story..... (I luv happy endings.... )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit