Does the WTS hold to the truth in love?

by CornerStone 5 Replies latest jw friends

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

Hello All,

I was reading my Bible this morning,(some of us still do :) ), and I came across these verses;

11He is the one who gave these gifts to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. 12Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ, 13until we come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God’s Son that we will be mature and full grown in the Lord, measuring up to the full stature of Christ.
    14Then we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different or because someone has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth. 15Instead, we will hold to the truth in love, becoming more and more in every way like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. 16Under his direction, the whole body is fitted together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.

This made me think of the GB and verses 14 and 15 in particular. I sat wondering if ANY member of the GB realy understands the relevence of these verses and the society's history.

My sad conclusion is the ruling class does not. And those members that do are too scared to speak out about their concerns.

They, the ruling class, have come to regard lies and changing doctrines as their "birthright". And as far as "holding to the truth in love", how can you when you use fear, (from elders), intimidation, (from WTS legal), and the threat of dissfellowshipping to keep everyone in line?

Blinded by power and making money, the GB are no longer able to understand a few simple truths of what love is; love does not lie, love is always consistant.

CornerStone

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

CornerStone,

I like the translation, especially:

14Then we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different or because someone has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth.

That verse from Ephesians 4:14 so well describes the JW experience of flashing "new light" and "tacking into the wind." Here it is again from The New Oxford Annotated Bible:

We must no longer be children, tossed to and fro and blown about by every wind of doctrine, by people's trickery, by their craftiness in deceitful scheming.

After I left the organization, I thought back over my whole experience. The first five years of my parents' association with the Jehovah's Witnesses seemed a very happy time. The structure and clear rules helped them stabilize their marriage. They made friends with people who were mostly decent, honest, and caring. When did things begin to turn sour? When did these beliefs become a burden?

I think the organization works for people as long as they are in a childlike state. Jean Piaget and Lawrence Kohlberg studied the moral development of children. Piaget looked at how children develop moral reasoning. He found that young children have a much more primitive understanding of right and wrong behavior than do older children The work of Piaget and Kohlberg led to the discovery of three levels of moral development with two stages each:

The first level is called Preconventional. During this level children are concerned with avoiding punishment (Stage 1: Punishment-Obedience) and getting one's own needs met (Stage 2: Individualism). This level and its stages fit into the framework of young children, up to the age of ten years.

The second level is called Conventional. During this level children are more concerned with living up to the expectations of others (Stage 3: Interpersonal Conformity) and want to do the right thing because it is good for the group, family, or institution (Stage 4: Social System and Conscience). This level and its stages fit children over the age of ten years and on to adulthood.

The third level is called Postconventional. During this level individuals govern their behavior by the relative values and opinions of the groups they live and interact with. Right behavior is based on a "social contract" (Stage 5: Social Contract and Individual Rights) with others and in the validity of universal moral principles (Stage 6: Universal/Ethical Principles) which may or may not agree with society's laws. Laws that agree with universal moral principles are obeyed but when those laws violate these principles, the individual follows the principles instead.

For the most part, I believe that JWs obey to avoid punishment (both at Armageddon and by disfellowshipping). They are also concerned with the expectations of others and doing the right thing because it is good for the group. Once a JW matures beyond that stage and begins to ponder ethical principles, there is often trouble in paradise. The Watchtower of May 1, 1957 said, ". . . show our respect for Jehovah's organization, for she is our mother and the beloved wife of our heavenly Father, Jehovah God." Don't question Mama, because this mama doesn't ever want her babies to grow up and leave home.

I find it interesting that the organization sees itself is this mother/wife role. In the "Our Sunday School Lesson" thread ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=7925&page=4&site=3 ), I quoted from an article by Ze'ev Herzog which, among other things, said:

And it will come as an unpleasant shock to many that the God of Israel, YHWH, had a female consort and that the early Israelite religion adopted monotheism only in the waning period of the monarchy and not at Mount Sinai.

[bolding mine]

It's rather ironic that the Watchtower Society has brought this consort back, setting themselves up as an Asherah of sorts. "Put faith in a victorious organization." (The Watchtower - March 1, 1979)

I hope that Mama eventually comes to her senses and realizes we all just wanted and needed to become adults. Our leaving home was not intended as a personal affront to her. I hope she can change her ways and come to love and respect us as her adult children.

Ginny

• Quester
    Quester

Thanks for the good read, Ginny and CornerStone.

Why would fear, intimidation, and threats of disfellowshipping
    to keep people in line be needed if JW's were really motivated
    by love as they claim? Very revealing isn't it.

"Mama" doesn't allow her children to grow up and become
    independent mature adults. She keeps them helpless dependent
    babes.

If you want to grow up, you gotta leave the nest.

I outgrew the jw religion and that's why I left.
    I grew up.

Quester

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Ginny,

Ah, Child Development! Don't you just love it!

When I learned about Kohlberg, I read through the "You Can Live Forever" book and found only PRECONVENTIONAL morality!! The whole entire book is preconventional! This is the level of morality used by 5-year-olds!

I agree that many JWs operate on the conventional level of morality, following rules for the good of the group. How sad that this is as far as you can develop morally, and stay within the Borg.

It seems that the higher your morality develops, the less likely you will stay a JW!

--LisaBobeesa

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

Hello L.B.,

You said;

"It seems that the higher your morality develops, the less likely you will stay a JW!"

Your right!

A "higher" sense of moral thinking forces us to place more value on what we understand to be "right" or "good". However, if we value our comfort or safty the same as we value what we believe to be right or good, then we stagnate in our spiritual growth.

G. T.,

Thanks for the info. The org does stablize lives but ONLY to make them better robots. Kind of like the man whose only job is to push a yellow button once every 2 seconds on an assembly line. Nothing else!
    One day the org will see that instead of thinking of herself as the "mother organization" she will infact understand that she has been portraying the part of the harlot who spills the blood of the people!

BTW, I enjoy reading your post. :)

CornerStone

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Lisa and Ginny,

Really enjoyed your posts from Kohlberg and Piaget about development in human consciousness. In reading the works of Ken Wilber, I came to realize that one aspect of my leaving the Witnesses was that I had essentially outgrown the organization spiritually, and probably had done that years ago, but stuck with it by making the excuses many of us make (ie: "I know there are problems, but they'll eventually get straightened out in time if we wait on Jehovah," etc.).

In Wilber's spiral of human development, the Witnesses are really at one of the lower levels, on a par with other fundamentalist groups in Christianity and Isalm, or some of the fringe militia groups that we see around the US. Coming to that realization was a huge step for me in really cutting my ties with the Org. Your reference to "growing up" and moving away from mother was just dead on. I've changed my metaphor for the WTS from "mother" to seeing it as just an immature, bullying older brother who never grew up.

Thanks for the quotes.
    S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit