What's this about hospital liason can get access to your medical records?

by crankytoe 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

Hello, I think I read something like this last week, but I thought it didn't concern me so I didn't pay much attention.

A close friend of mine is being pressured by one of the "friends" to let them be their hospital liason, - or whatever the term is that allows someone from the hall to speak for you if you're incapacitated and in need of surgery.

They were going to do it, until I told them I read "somewhere" that this liason can get access to their medical records/history. But now I'm not so sure I read that. Can someone PLEASE provide more info regarding this?

Thanks so much,

Crank,

• sinis
    sinis

Hello, I think I read something like this last week, but I thought it didn't concern me so I didn't pay much attention.

A close friend of mine is being pressured by one of the "friends" to let them be their hospital liason, - or whatever the term is that allows someone from the hall to speak for you if you're incapacitated and in need of surgery.

They were going to do it, until I told them I read "somewhere" that this liason can get access to their medical records/history. But now I'm not so sure I read that. Can someone PLEASE provide more info regarding this?

Thanks so much,

Crank,

Regardless, tell your friend that FAMILY shoudl be the ones deciding your fate. Friends are good to have, just not in a life or death situation, especially this kind. The friend may feel he's doing the right thing but what about the persons mother and father, etc. that brought him into the world? I would trust no one but blood as far as my health goes.

I believe what you are referring to is clause 6 of the new blood card, but it a European change. I have not seen or heard of a US change, though I'm sure its coming.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Here is a scan of the new blood card http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/104206/1.ashx in Europe.

The US card has somewhat different wording.

YC

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

Thank you! I keep trying to tell my friend that this "friend" of theirs just wants to get into their business

I'm worried my friends medical history will become just more gossip fodder for the congo

Does the US version specifically say this person can get access to medical records?

Thanks,

Crank

• Forscher
    Forscher

It's funny, but we have a copy of my inlaw's cards. The power of attorney goes to my brother-in-law, who is not a dub. He left the organization back in the 70's when a CO pissed him off. He never DA'd, was not DF'd, but left long enough ago that he's pretty much left alone. I know he goes on apostate sites and forums and may well be on this one for all I know. But they trust that he will abide by their wishes if things go down to the wire. I believe he would.
    While I was in the borg, I had both a son and a brother, not Dubs, who I knew could be counted on to do as I wished and had no problem assigning them the power in the event my wife couldn't. What's my point? I think one can find a non Dub relative who will abide by the rules one lays down, whether they like it or not. The need to give that power outside the family is over rated.
    Forscher

• the_leander
    the_leander

My wife signed one of these documents not long ago. I noted that she gave full control over to the hospital liason commitee. I did however say that no such letter would be permissable for my son until he was of a legal age to do so for himself. I barely got out of the room that day with my skin intact hehe.

What I did find out recently is that even though my Wife and I have been married 3 years, her next of kin on ALL documents I have thus far located have been her Father, an Elder. I am barely given a mention... I guess not being a witness I should accept my second class status...

• blondie
    blondie

Actually you have confused 2 separate terms.

The hospital liaison committee are elders selected by the WTS to represent the WTS and its blood policies to doctors and hospital staff. The HLC also is supposed to clarify whether a medical procedure is scriptural for the rank and file as well.

There is also a section on the new "blood card" allowing the individual JW to give the HLC permission to access their medical records. (see URLs above)

As to a person representing you, they are known as a healthcare proxy or power of attorney. You ask them if they would make medical decisions for you if you are unconscious or unable to make your wishes known. You, they and people who witness the signing, sign off on a healthcare power of attorney. The WTS has one that details what are not conscience matters and what are (your choice). You discuss this with them to see if they can support your viewpoint. Not all are blood issues, i.e., resuscitation can be DO NOT, or DO under certain circumstances. As far as I know this does not give them access to your medical records.

I would suggest reading up on it because it is a good idea for all people to have someone they trust and who supports their medical views listed on a legal document so there is not confusion. Remember Terry Schiavo? How much trouble could have been avoided if she had put it in writing and let others know her desires.

Blondie

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

You might want to share the Kerry Louderback-Wood article from the Journal of Church and State, entitled "Jehovah's Witnesses and the Tort of Misrepresentation," with anyone interested in acting as a hospital liaison. Please feel free to share my letter of January 15, 2006, found at my blog regarding this issue: http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog/ Any individual taking it upon themselves to act as a liaison in this matter, should be aware of the risks they take in representing an organization involved in misrepresenting secular facts (about the risks of refusing blood transfusions and), and that has suppressed life-saving information about changes in its own policies. Please share my letter with anyone who may benefit from it and feel free to link to it and comment on it at my blog. Thanks! -T.J.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit