JW's on TV

by Bumble Bee 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Recently I've seen more JW's on TV. First it was Jayla on America's Next Top Model - described as "the rebel JW".

The other day I saw a PSA on Omni TV about diabetes and it pictured an older man sitting by his piano and there was a "Sing Praises to Jehovah" displayed.

Yesterday I saw a program on the LifeNetwork about Jackie - a JW woman that had breast re-construction after cancer. It showed her attending a meeting at the KH, (gag alert) - everybody was hugging and kissing each other, singing etc, showed her reading her NWT, and going out in service using the standard greeting - "Hi, my name is Jackie and this is my friend Pat - we'll be very brief - we're just talking to the people in your neighbourhood today - latest WT and Awake yadda yadda yadda". She was divorced and lived with her parents. They of course talked about the no blood policy. They briefly interviewed the surgeon, Dr. Beveridge, and he talked about the extra risks and said that if the patient was agreeable, they could store her own blood for the surgery! There was never any more mention of it, and I don't know if she did or not. I watched the credits to see where this was filmed and it looked like Calgary, Alberta.

It was a really interesting show in regards to the breast reconstruction - the way they reconstructed the nipple was amazing!

It just seems like I'm seeing more and more references to JW's on the TV now. Anybody else see things like this?

BB

• carla
    carla

The only time I see any jw's is usually in movies in a negative context, like someone doesn't want to answer the door because they thought it was jw's or something. In cases like that me & kids just suppress our giggles until he leaves to get popcorn or something. Little amusements for us.

As for her getting breast reconstruction I would think that would be frowned upon due to, might as well wait for the new system and be made whole again, to expensive- just think how that money could have helped the preaching work, vanity is a sin, I'm sure there are other reasons. Would they look the same at a r&f woman that is lower on the totem pole?

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    As for her getting breast reconstruction I would think that would be frowned upon due to, might as well wait for the new system and be made whole again, to expensive- just think how that money could have helped the preaching work, vanity is a sin, I'm sure there are other reasons. Would they look the same at a r&f woman that is lower on the totem pole?

Hi carla,

I thought about that too, especially since she was a divorced woman. She did talk quite a bit about how she looked, and her sexuality. They often showed her putting on her lipstick, getting all dressed up (I assume for the meetings/service). From a womans standpoint I can understand why she did it - I think if I was in the same situation, I'd want it done too! From the elders standpoint - I wonder if she was "counselled" on the things you mentioned above?

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, breast reconstruction would not be frowned upon. That would be like saying that a cleft palate should be corrected or that people cannot get Lasik surgery to improve their eyesight or that a tonsillectomy (because these are not life threatening) and might wait till the "new system." I have never seen that reasoning on a local level or in the publications. The only issue would be blood transfusions. I have never seen where any elective surgery is forbidden by the WTS (not that some pushy JWs couldn't be shoving their conscience down someone's throat).

km 11/90 p. 4 Are You Ready to Face a Faith-Challenging Medical Situation? ***

Since our medical directive is designed mainly for dealing with emergency situations, then in elective surgery you would be wise to write out your own personalized, more complete advance directive (based on our medical directive) so that you can include specifics, such as the type of surgery and the names of the doctors and the hospital.

Blondie

• pratt1
    pratt1

It's good that she had adequate health benefits so that she could have the choice of reconstruction surgery.

Think of all of the dubs who because they slave for the Borg have little or no benefits at all.

At least she has a choice.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    It just seems like I'm seeing more and more references to JW's on the TV now.

It's just Jehovah's way of advancing the preaching work and getting the 'people for his name' out into the public eye. ;-)

• carla
    carla

First off, I'm very glad she could get it done.

Blondie,

What about all the jw's right before 1975 that put off medical procedures because the end was right around the corner? Weren't they commended (at least locally) for doing so? Like those who sold their houses? Isn' the end always right around the corner?

• blondie
    blondie

carla, that was not a widespread thing in my experience. The ones that did that were usually already pegged as being "extreme" JWs. No one in my extended JW family or acquaintainceship did such a thing. I'm not discounting that some did, but I did not see it as a directive from the WTS. BTW I was in my 20's in 1975 and an active JW.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

I'm sure everyone else has seen it, but I just caught the Michael Jackson bio thingy on MTV where they talk about Papa-Joe havin' all his ho's in front of the boys, while their mom was beating them over the head with the truth. Had Bill Bowen on it. Interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit